PS regulator bad for IGC sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The plot thickens

Setup the PS reg with a 1000uF cap (panasonic FC) at the output pin of the LM338. Rest of reg was : diodes, 4700uF*2, LM388 and 50uF from ADJ to gnd. LM3785 still had 1000uF panasonc FC per pin

Result: Much better sounding than without the output cap at all. Highs were much better resolved, bass did not overwhelm. In short this has restored my faith in pursuing the reg supply further. I will let it run in for another 2 weeks and listem critically then.

How does it compare to no regulator? No reg still gives better hi resolution and more ambience/air/see-through quality. The regulated PS IGC seems in comparison to bunch everything into a shallower soundstage (relatively speaking). Bass for the two seems similar. Time will tell.

I'll post results in two or so weeks for the reg PS again. May even have tried the ULTIMATE supply by then.

Dr. H

You need to come up with some way to compair the difference between regulated and unregulated AT THE SAME VOLTAGE. Untell you do you are not compairing apples to apples. This may be a seperate power supply for each channel but I feel very strongly that untell you compair at the same voltage you will be chasing your tail. Don't under estmate the difference that the rail voltage can make.

Good luck
BZ:geezer:

Yes Dr. H when I reccomended the use of a discrete regulator it is because I've used it. Actually am using now. I use +/- 24V rails now, only because that's the value of the zeners I had lying around, but 36V and 33V zeners are on their way and I'll use one of those two when they get here (I'm guessing 33V would be preferable).

As for the impact on sound, I found there was an improvement, but that's my opinion, I prefer the regulated sound, maybe you don't.

Millwood, yes the LM3875 has a great PSRR and I don't believe fancy regs will improve the sound compared to a simple reg. But I do believe a stable voltage is a desirable part of the PSU, I find it's better if the voltage doesn't sag when current is drawn.

my experience

At first I rated it over standard clone. Its very hard to evaluate subjectively when your a proud builder ;)

After building 3 amps side by side my findings were standard clone beat regulated. I have listened to these amps for several weeks now.Their is way more soundstage with unregulated supply. With the regulated supply the sound is not as sweet and soundstage is more distant and closed in. I did however find initially that it was more controlled when played loud, I would like to try it at volume again to confirm, but it ****es my neighbors off .:mad:

I think the LP filter gave a bit more soundstage too , so far Im happy with that mod.

I would really like to hear from any one who has tried discreet regulator, maybe Ill whip one up sometime.

BTW I use all cheap components but they are the same. I will go for my boutique amp after I have decided on a design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.