Proper piezo crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What got the phase got to do with it?! The amp has ALWAYS to cope with phase fluctuations. And NO, it does NOT matter because in that range you don't have ANY significant power except for harmonics from the amp. And that is a problem of the amp itself and appears BEFORE the power of the harmonics in that range become a problem. And to sum it up, if an amp got any problems with phase shifts or generating harmonics, it's still a problem of the amp, not the load (speaker) which means you have to do something about your crappy amplifier instead of "pseudo-bullet-proofing" the speakers. Improve your amp, even tube amps have no problem with that, if they are developed right.

Edit: If the amp is crap, don't 'fix' the speaker, fix the amp!
Just saying, it is generally good engineering practice not to produce a speaker that drops it's impedance too low at any frequency.

The cost of a 5Watt resistor is less than $1, will fix the problem, and do no harm to the audible performance.

The last thing you want if you're a speaker manufacturer is having end users blame you for their amplifiers blowing up. Lots of piezo drivers already have some resistance built in to prevent this.

Any updates?

I'm quite happy with the CTS power line 1165a I have with 8" audax aerogel woofers on my telly system. I took note on this thread and they have proper crossovers and attenuators.

They go loud easily and with no hassle. I have a large vented sub so the audax / cts combo has no real stress at levels where you need to talk very loudly to be heard. The audax 1" silk dome tweeters that were in before were not happy at that level. The clarity at low level seems better with the piezos too.

Note CTS not goldwood, maplin or eBay stuff that is utterly useless!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.