Projector design comments/help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I've decided against making an OHP-LCD panel as I can't get a cheap but powerfull OHP easily in Aus.
Therefore, I've been gettin some ideas on it. I've drawn up my design but I'm not sure if all the info on it is correct as I haven't been focusing on a hard-core DIY project.
I've included the image of my design but could anyone who knows about it help me out with if my ideas will work properly, etc. I'll go through some ideas I haven't really seen much of and so can someone comment on them or make some alterations to my design to make it run more efficient and also recommend some parts?
Ok,
Casing:
I had an idea for cooling which MAY work, but I need some feedback. If I make a case with two layers, the inner layer being Aliminium and the outer wood will that help with insulation? My thought is that the Aliminium like what is used with coke cans will become cold from the fans and therefore make the inside cool and eliminating (to a certain degree) the heat problem faced by having a powerfull bulb (any recommendations on the bulb?).
The outer shell of wood would act as insulation to keep the cool air from escaping (except through the ventilation), strengthen the case, and also make it so the case isn't cold from the outside.
Will this work? Or is there a better alternative to aliminium?
Focusing lens:
I haven't really found much on this, but would a focus lense work with the setup im making? Where could I get a good and cheap one from? An old camera perhaps?

Ok, that's all I want now.

Thanks all for once again listening to my dribble.
:)

Attachments

• design.jpg
    design.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 378
Hmmm,
I was thinking about the surface and it being non-reflective, etc. so I will paint the aliminium black, which should still allow for it to be quickly cooled and stay cool (look at a coke can, it cools in a fridge really quickly and cools up the inside relativley quick). I wouldn't really need to do that until above the lcd however, since it doesn't really matter if the light is reflected when it is not carrying an image would it?
But about the aliminium, would it work? My reasoning for it would be to insulate and keep the cool temps in. There will of course be a fan (any recommendations for a low-volume (doesn't need to be too low however, the sound system will drain out the fan's sound) high-capability fan?).
Depending on the heat given off the light however, I will probably put in some Low-E glass (is that the name?) which is two pieces of glass that has argon gas filled between them and it keeps the heat from passing through.
And does anyone have a panel recomendation? I was thinking of the nView Z255, has anyone had any experience with this? Does anyone know the average price of one?
I'm thinking off getting the parts from the following,
the reflector i will get from a car yard, should be efficent,
the fresnal lens i'll get from an old OHP,
the convex lens i'll get from an old OHP also,
and I'll get a lens from an old camera maybe.

I'm in school now so I must go (phew) but keep those comments coming :)

You might be better off with another reflector. As car light reflectors make a wide flat beam. You want a round narrow beam about 10o no more. Something to consider. To give you a Idea of what I mean I'll tell you what I found so far. I had two halogens. One at 2000 lumens and 125watt the other at 90watt 1200 lumens. O.K. so the 125watt is def. brighter BUT not for this. The 2000 lumen was a flood light, much wider beam like a car headlight. This made a VERY dim image of course. But the smaller 1200 lumens 10o spot light was atleast 3x as bright and very watchable. Because more of the light was being used so less waiste. The flood light is waisting alot of light. Look at a spot light (like for track lighting I mean) and see how narrow the reflector is this will show you what I mean. Other than that my very unexperties opinion is it looks good, should work very well. Its basically a DIY OHP isnt it.;)

Hey all,
I've found a Glass Aspheric Lens that I was thinking could go in my projector to project the light onto the fresnal lens. It has a 63.6mm diameter with a focal length of 85mm. Double convex with a standard spherical curve on one side and an aspherical curve on the other. Center thickness is 15.9mm.
Thing is, I have no idea what the hell that all means!
Can someone help? I want to use this lens for the first convex lens which is on top of my reflector. Does a larger focal length mean that there is less room needed for the light to be spread out on the fresnal lens?

And has anyone got an nView Z255 and can tell me about its performance? Also if anyone can sell me one working in good condition and with the remote and cables that would be greatly appreciated ;)

Thanks for your help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.