Project Using Atlas 12 - PING: Cal W.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thought I'd pump up a pic of what I made for the Ascendant Atlas 12's I purchased at their bargain basement prices awhile back.

Here's the skinny on them:

- Cabinet is ~75 litres; subs are set for low Q; port is 4 inches tuned to 23Hz
- Front and back are double thick 3/4" MDF; rest are single thickness
- Given the small size of the box, I went with a single reverse-angled brace in the middle and pounded it into place to provide strength to the sides

Now, on to the satellites. With summer half over I really have to get moving if I want them finished...

Cal baby,
What you see in front of the speakers is the REAL masterpiece - an all-American hopped Brown Ale.... bottoms up!

Mark

Attachments

• post4.jpg
    post4.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 316
Yeah, they should do until I find a decent 15 or 18 that I can afford. I'll be breaking them in while I'm building the satellites. When it's time to finish them I'll do some tests and post the T/S results. Putting together my mic right now for some response measurements...

Interesting post DB, will certainly consider doing that.

Mark

Oh, man!

Looks like these things are going up for sale real soon....

Plugged 'em in and fired them up for the wife. While I was enjoying a bit of nice undistorted low end from SuperTramp She said "so... where's the bass?"

*Sigh*

Kay, here we go...

After spending 15 minutes of tweaking the DCX to provide MAXIMUM output at 25-80Hz in addition to her cranking up the bass control on the preamp she says "ahh... now that's bass" and proceeded to test them with such songs from Christien Agulara and other sudo-rap groups.

I sat there watching my doors rattle and the peak meters on my Crest V650 hit max (325 watts/ch into 4ohms).

Man, I'm in trouble. I need a bigger amp and, well, bigger subs...

Damn, I need some help!

Mark

Plugged 'em in and fired them up for the wife. While I was enjoying a bit of nice undistorted low end from SuperTramp She said "so... where's the bass?"

You are a lucky man, Mark! The envy of countless audio enthusiasts more accustomed to hearing things more like "why is it so big?!" or "what about bose?"

I think I can relate to your wife's comment actually. When I calibrate my system to completely flat (using ultracurve), I find there is still too much treble, and not enough bass. I use 2-4db of gently rising boost from 80 - 20 Hz as standard, then I turn up the volume control on the sub often a bit above the level at which it would be calibrated flat. DVDs and music are so differently mixed that some need to be totally flat while others I feel need quite a lot of boost, at least to my tastes.

I totally agree with you Paul. I too feel that many tracks need/deserve added 'enhancement' in the bottom octaves. It certainly adds to the experience. Oh, and make no mistake, we did have those dreaded discussions where the 'B' word was brought up...

I must admit though, these drivers are very nice. They soaked up all the power the Crest could give without showing any signs of stress at all. At $100 US each they were a real bargain.

Mark

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mark,

Let's see...

A nice homemade brown ale in front of your nice new subs, in a nice clean garage on a nice clean street. What a nice life ;)

How's the brew taste? Is it nutty enough? Dang, I'm getting thirsty just looking at it and it's only a quarter past eight in the morn.

Be sure to let us see the progress on the satellites.

Cal

Good day,

The only problem with human hearing is that in the range below 32Hz is less responsive. In that area sound must be lowder with about 15dB if needed.
For a real Hi-Fi system you should have some bass-midrange woofers.
At other freq hearing is virtualy flat (if represented by a graph) except the 400-500Hz zone where it peeks(because the usual human voice is rated there and because we need to hear louder and clearer). For this reason I advise you to use midrange spekers that give linear sound in the 350-7000Hz. For midrange drivers is needed about 3 times less power than for the bass (ex:300W nominal bass a 100W midrange is very good). A tweeter must be 5 times less powerfull.
The tweeters for your satellites must give clear freq of 5000-20000Hz. Most individuals don't hear over 16500Hz (those who are are either children and adolescents). My opinion is that going to freq like 25-30kHz is useless (unless you want to annoy dogs or cats).
Tunning a cinema sistem is hard because if we go in either side of the 400-500 Hz area of human voice our hearing becomes more and more unclear and decresses in decresses in volume.
All I wrote is my ideea of what it is needed to make the perfect home cinema system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.