PROJECT: SOTA Power Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Given the Heat Sink shown; what would be the specs and direction of topology for a Power Amplifier of the not TOO exotic direction for a medium experienced DIY amp builder?

Less than +/- 100 Rails and Class AB FULL complementary output

I am not opposed to using something other than the TO-3 holes already in the Heat Sink.

I also want to design and build a SMPS(S) for it.

Attachments

• hp400 004.jpg
    hp400 004.jpg
    601.6 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
You would get about 100W single channel on that, there is no room for devices for a two channel amp. You can buy heatsinks like that new for less than 20 dollars so I wouldn't worry too much about salvaging it. The MOSFETs on there are also worth salvaging if you are going to take the heatsink.

Or did you mean the big slabs?

Last edited:
You would get about 100W single channel on that, there is no room for devices for a two channel amp. You can buy heatsinks like that new for less than 20 dollars so I wouldn't worry too much about salvaging it. The MOSFETs on there are also worth salvaging if you are going to take the heatsink.

Or did you mean the big slabs?

There are a total of 32 TO-3 Positions on the HS. and it has a fan built in.

two channels of 4pair using MJ21193/4 could deliver a lot of power output into either 8r0 from 50+50Vac or into 4r0 from 40+40Vac.
Extra pairs might allow both loads to be fed from an extra 5Vac of transformer potential.
Capacitors above 80Vdc start getting expensive, particularly if you have to specify 160Vdc for a 60+60Vac transformer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.