Project One Turntable Platter Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Project One turntable (I think it's a 1.2 but not sure) and I noticed recently that the platter has sagged somehow and is now touching the wooden base of the turntable.

If you look at the platter from the side it almost has the curve of a cymbal. It looks like the weight caused it to sag around the spindle. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Also, does anyone have any recommendation on how to fix this. I imagine it means replacing the platter, but with what?

I haven't used the unit much in the last couple years, but am finally moving into my own house and won't have to worry about disturbing the neighbors. I would like to get it back in shape.

--Steve

Unfortunately the turntable is currently in storage until I move into the new place so no pic for a while.

I took a good look at the platter the other day and noticed what looked to be small fractures in the aluminum(?) platter going radially. The turntable had not been used in about a year, and had nothing on the platter, I just can't figure out why it sagged. Age I suppose.

I looked at the acrylic group buy and replacing the platter at a price of over $400 is just not in my price range. I only paid $250 for the turntable to begin with.

I have an '80s Marantz Gold turntable that I can used in the meantime, but would like to get the Project One back in working order.

the GB and other ideas....

first $400 is for the bearing and the platter (well still don't have the actual costs yet).

A DIY acrylic platter could work. Just cut or have cut a 1/2" or grater sheet. glue radial "spindles on it on the underside, using cyanoacrylate (super glue)...or as shallbehealed suggests there are "Rega" type platters fior not that much money, also said to be a huge improvement.

stew

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.