project brewing in my head, challenging, but seem like a good way to try new concepts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
454Casull said:
3 drivers, 2 of which reproduce the same signal.

I'm not entirely sure this is the correct explanation for the term "2.5 way".

A "2 way" system has two drivers (or sets of drivers) producing two distinct frequency ranges, likewise a "3 way" system has three drivers (or sets of drivers) producing three distinct frequency ranges, however a "2.5 way" design has 3 drivers (or sets of drivers) two of which reproduce two distinct frequency ranges while the third reproduces part of one of the aformentioned ranges.

I own a pair of B&W 603-S3 speakers that utilise a 2.5 way design - they consist of an aluminium tweeter, a kevlar bass/midrange cone and an aluminium "mushroom" bass driver that supplements the lower frequency ranges reproduced by the kevlar bass/midrange driver.

Here are some crossover points for a 2.5 way design (off the top of my head so don't represent any actual speaker):

Tweeter 2KHz - 20KHz
Bass/midrange 30Hz - 2KHz
Bass 30Hz - 120Hz

As you can see the lower frequencies (30-120Hz) are supplemented by the third driver - hence the system is a 2.5 way design and not a 2 or 3 way design.

Hope this clears up any confusion/misunderstanding.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.