Project "Artemis" - A complete stereo integrated amp with custom DAC

Hi!

Presenting a finished (they say developers job is never done...) project.
Since we all love videos and images:

Video:

Hardware:

Android app:

You can check for more info here:
https://mladenbozic.com/project-artemis/

Desc:
Idea was to create something I will use, so making my own case by hand was out of the option (suck at it). So was buying some odd metal looking case I will later keep in some shed. Case should have high WAF factor! Always! :) I've opted for a Pioneer A-10, it's a very low cost device which you can buy used for under 100$. And since this is a DIY project, you can do with it whatever you want.

Some shematics from different service manuals (Pioneer, Onkyo, Yamaha...) were used, power amp is similar to Hifisonix's KX-2/Pavel Macura's CFA amp but modified, all the PCBs were done from scrach and that was very hard to do as I had to adjust them all to the case at hand.

You can read much more on the link I've provided, here is the summary of what it can do:
  • Input selection based on relays
  • Custom developed DAC (PCM9211, WM8742) with power off function when not in use
  • Readout of frequency and bitrate from PCM9211 to mobile app
  • Digital filter selection for WM8742 in mobile app
  • Mute (relay based)
  • Speakers On/Off
  • Motorized volume control (4 channel ALPS pot) with ADC readings
  • Motorized tone control (6 channel ALPS pots) with ADC readings
  • Tone bypass (relay based)
  • Discrete bass boost based on Onkyo schematics (on/off relay based)
  • Discrete CFA pre-amplifier based on Marantz schematics
  • Discrete CFA power amplifier based on sources from the net (Hifisonix, Pavel Macura...) and own thinkering in LTspice
  • Bluetooth Low Energy connection to Android device for control and monitoring based on nRF52 module (Laird BL652-SA)
  • Custom developed Android application
  • Full IR remote control support
  • Standby circuitry
  • Dual power transformers connected in parallel after the rectifier for double current
  • Separate power circuitry for pre-amp, DAC, relays and digital circuitry
  • Protection circuitry for DC on outputs and power supply voltage asymmetry
  • Temperature monitoring based on Texas Instruments TMP100 IC and protection from overheating (work in progress)
  • LED PWM dimming ability
  • LED on volume knob (on/off option)

Today it's a fully working prototype, code is ok, some baby bugs I'm addressing but in overal it works. There are also links for code, which I provide for free, on the link above.

Comments and questions welcomed. :)

Reactions: 3 users
I looked a your download of docs a couple of schematics with yellow on white back ground, just a little too hard on my eyes to follow :)
One way of copy protection :)
Just to be clear, what are you making available? code? where, pcb? I know jlcpcb :) I use them too :)
Big project, beyond my current level of comprehension.

Unfortunately can't export schematics to any other color. Use some tool as Photoshop to inverse or change colors. There is also a .sch document which can be opened in many different schematics tools.
Everything is available.
It's not intended for you to make the same PCBs as there is a very slim chance you also have a Pioneer A-10 waiting to be used, so I haven't put gerbers into the docs.
Sorry to hear it's beyond your current comprehension but complexity of the project is on par with todays integrated amps you can find on the shelves.
What will you do with the information provided is entirely up to you. :)

Cool makes sense, any plans to make it available for others? big job re-laying out again for a different chassis.
ltspice file for the amp is easy on the eyes, how's the CFA amp work? Notice anything different about it, PLS don't say it sounds fast :)
Lots for me to learn, coding wise is challenging, but I know enough "C" to follow it, takes DIY into 2022, good stuff.
AM/FM/SW?, I have a Si4735 design running, so I can code to that level using a atxmega and BASCOM-AVR :)

There are images of PCBs, if you wan't gerbers I can give them to you but they will not be suited for anything other than A-10 case. That's why there are only images so you can do something based on them or make something on your own.

Entire thing to me sounds delicios. Volume to max with no input and you can not hear the amp at all. There is no cracling, no static interference, just music.
It took several revisions and years of effort.
Regarding the power amp, this is a modified schematic of Hifisonix's KX-2 amplifier and Pavel Macura's CFA amp. Mostly Hifisonix's but only in AB, I personally see no sense in class A. That being said, it should sound similar to their designs.
Power amps can be easily changed as they are on 2 separate PCBs. Same is with other circuitry.

You can replace STM32 with atmega, sure.
nRF52 will be a grand challenge if you never used it. Same with Android app.

For now I have no plans on adding stuff.

I generaly didn't think anybody will want to replicate this as it's a lot of effort and project was changed from DIY firendly in several last revisions to a full prototype on which a new project could be built entirely for production.

I was considering Sixxxx ICs for FM reciever but for another project.

Reactions: 1 user
I was considering Sixxxx ICs for FM reciever but for another project.
This would be the best project I see so far.
You have earned the fruits of labour.
Adding my amp pic.
I have tried to use SIxxxx module from famous SF store and running totally on battery but that thing locks up when I have a fan or Light switched on or off.

And I have to re boot. Not sure if it is a issue with SF board or lack of components

When no electrical events take place - tuneing is good

There also a Elektor project with SIxxxx running of a RPI….. pcb hat is provided but the chip maybe NRD. Ali ex has them but I think you can replace it other chip having I2s and feeding it to 9211 with your other optical inputs…... read your page so thought of putting here

Attachments

• 5CA38753-E108-4C5D-9B99-5D515323013B.jpeg
    5CA38753-E108-4C5D-9B99-5D515323013B.jpeg
    447.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited: