Problem with the cassette player on a Marantz 4025

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a problem with the cassette player on a Marantz 4025.
The problem is the signal from the cassette player is very very weak. I have to turn the volume to almost max to be able to hear the audio.
I cleaned the play/rec switch several times, checked all the wiring, including the head, cleaned the head, but still the same.
I'm planning to do a full recap on the tape preamp board.
Any advice on how to proceed and what to check next?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Very hard to say without basic checks being performed. Do the VU meters deflect normally on playback of a known good cassette ? If so then the problem is either in the final stages of the audio circuitry or even external to unit. Have you tried the unit on another amplifier ?

If the meters do not deflect much then it sounds like a problem with the head/head preamp.

Are both channels the same ?

Thank you for your reply.

I have not tried the unit on another amp as it is an integrated tape player/recorder.

The VU meters do not deflect normally either. Both channels are the same. When I resoldered the head connections I intentionally left unsoldered one channel and touched the wires and the buzz was also merely audible. So I presume the head is ok.
I'll start with the head preamp.

I attached the tape preamp schematic.

Attachments

• Marantz-4025-tape-preamp.jpg
    Marantz-4025-tape-preamp.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 61
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.