Problem with soldering station

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Xytronic Hi-Power LF-1000. Working fine then suddenly temperature reading shot up from 320 ish (C) to 450ish, while the iron went cold.

Just in the middle of a build (but then I guess you're bound to be soldering when it breaks).

Anyone had experience of fixing these ? What's likely to be gone ?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi RhythMick,
Sounds like the temperature sensor went open as a guess. The iron thinks it's too hot, so it won't heat the iron.

Check the connections on the plug where it connects to the PCB. You might need to ... solder them. I have a back-up iron just because of this situation.

-Chris

Hi RhythMick,
Sounds like the temperature sensor went open as a guess. The iron thinks it's too hot, so it won't heat the iron.

Check the connections on the plug where it connects to the PCB. You might need to ... solder them. I have a back-up iron just because of this situation.

-Chris

Thanks will check around for loose connections. I have a back up iron - just don't fancy having to complete my build with it.

Hmmm ... nothing loose and everything continuity tests as far as I can get to to test. Took the iron connector apart too, again nothing loose or shorting and everything continuity tests between the cables and the pins.

I could try getting a new iron for it, but that may not be worth it especially as the fault may not be there. There aren't enough handymen left - time was I could have found a guy in a corner shop to test and fix it. Would hate to junk it - been a good station.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Let us know if you find anything. Concentrate on the temperature sensor circuit. I expect it is a thermistor, so it shouldn't read short. Even hand warmth should change the reading, so you can give it a rough test. For a more thorough test, take the tip out and insert the backup iron into the hole. Your resistance should now change a lot. There are tests you can make to track down the problem.

I had a station that was a great one. It acted up, so I went through it and found a ton of bad capacitors. The station was about 20 years old at that point, and now it is working perfectly again. I bought a new one (same one!), so I'll keep that as a spare. It is well worth keeping your old station running! I recently had to replace the 23 year old iron in it. The heating element went open. Still well worth keeping it going. So I had, and still have my great station.

Oh, I took the time to calibrate the temperature display in all functions. Now it is a way better station than new ones that cost a lot more. So you see, your efforts will reward you every time you use the old station.

-Chris :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Nigel,
Don't feel bad. I had Weller stations. They dropped faster than flies. I finally bought my cheap station out of desperation. Best soldering station I have ever had. I replaced all the Weller stations in my shop with these as the Wellers died. Mine is made by "Solomon", digital display. The maker supported me with a schematic when I needed it. He OEMs many other names as well, typically selling for ~ $100 CDN, a little more now.

You may have guessed, I recommend his products to anyone having a problem these days. Look up Solomon and buy a station that looks like it (probably his company made it). It also helps tip life if you don't run it too hot. I now run around 230 ~ 250 °C depending on what I am working on. For heavy work I'll go up to 300 C.

-Chris

They sometimes loose connections in where they plug into the station...
and or..... I worked for a electronics manf and sometimes the soldering iron just needs a small thump on the table and it would work for weeks....we had maybe 300 soldering stations going at once.. once in a while something went bad or needed soldered inside,, but that was more rare... i fixed anything when i was not testing and repairing boards on the assembly line.

sorry I looked closer at your link
no match mate
50W isn't like your 100W and the connector is off too.

NP - thanks for trying to help. I'll try the above suggestions to fix this.

If that fails this is looking attractive. In stock local to me, £40 and a spare wand for a tenner. Good reviews on the Maplins site - anyone any experience ?

60W Mains LCD Solder Station | Maplin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.