Problem with preamp design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

I am not an electric or electronic engineer, I am just a hobbyist but I have designed a very basic guitar preamp with a clipping stage, BMP tone stack and recovery stage. The circuit is very simple, I have simulated it with LTSpice and everything works as expected in the simulation.

circuit.png

But it does not work when breadboarded. I have tried everything, I have changed every single component, power supply, protoboard, It just not work. I have started from the begining many times.... no success. An initial DC analysis show me that DC voltages are correct in the correct places, but no sound goes to the output. I suspect there is some error in the design, but LTSpice did not catch it.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Joined 2011
Can anyone give me some advice?

Not clear from your description, did you measure the actual DC at the op amp outputs
wrt ground? It should be 6V, or Vcc/2. If that is ok, then try removing the diodes.
Are the electrolytics each connected in the right polarity?
Also try removing the tone control, and connecting Vc directly to Vd.

Last edited:
Your pinout is wrong, unsure how/why simulation wouldn't complain.
a) state which OP Amps you are using
b) download and check datasheet
c) post *verified actual* (made with pencil and paper) schematic of what you * actually* built, not a screen capture or what simulation *was told* you built.

The IC pins are numbered ccw as viewed from the top, starting at the dot, right?

Of course. This is not my first project. Usually everything works at second try.... but this time there is something wrong with the design maybe. I will try again tomorrow but if it does not work I will change the circuit... maybe change the last stage for an inverting amplifier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.