Problem with Kwak Clock power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Confused?

Bricolo said:

That's odd.
Why do people anways use 47R or 470R for 50Ohm transmission lines?
The nearest E24 value is 51/510 :confused:

the series resistor at the source is far less critical than the coax impedance, and the termination impedance, which SHOULD match the coax

Adding exactly 50 ohm by the way does ignore the output impedance of the driver......

Measure it and you will see!!

regards

Guido Tent said:

Leo,

I cannot judge jitter performance based on a spectral analysis

cheers

Hi Guido,

I think you misunderstand my question, just want to know which noise level is more important to audio playback, like this datasheet showed in the phase noise characteristics of this link http://www.raltron.com/products/pdfspecs/clock_cx71_72_73.pdf
it shows -70dB at 10Hz, -95dB at 100Hz, -120dB at 1kHz, -140dB at 10kHz and -150dB at 100kHz.

Leo

f.k.l.chan said:

Hi Guido,

I think you misunderstand my question, just want to know which noise level is more important to audio playback, like this datasheet showed in the phase noise characteristics of this link http://www.raltron.com/products/pdfspecs/clock_cx71_72_73.pdf
it shows -70dB at 10Hz, -95dB at 100Hz, -120dB at 1kHz, -140dB at 10kHz and -150dB at 100kHz.

Leo

Leo,

That datasheet gives spectral information. Again, I cannot judge the clock quality based on that parameter. Jitter needs to be measured using a time domain analyser, in my opinion. Only then I know what is cooking.

best regards

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Confused?

Guido Tent said:

the series resistor at the source is far less critical than the coax impedance, and the termination impedance, which SHOULD match the coax

Adding exactly 50 ohm by the way does ignore the output impedance of the driver......

Measure it and you will see!!

regards

Here's the output signal with a 1kR/50R/50R probe (series resistor, coax, termination resistor)
20mV/div (the probe's attenuation is 20x)

Attachments

• dscf0005.jpg
    dscf0005.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 241
I have made this experiment. I have left the crystal with resistance and condensers to their place close to the SAA7220. I have found a bridge metallic that it connects the SAA7220 to the SAA7210, I have removed it and I inserted two plug. In the plug I insert the Kwak clock or a branch thread and feel the difference. The change feels also my son to it that it has 4 years. The CDP is a CD582 Philips, the dac is TDA1541A without oversampling, conversion I/V is passive, the output stage is discreet opamp jfet-fet. I do not have an oscilloscope, therefore I do not know as my Kwak works clock, but however the difference with original one it is remarkable.
Salutes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.