• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Problem With 01A Preamp (Losing Rectifiers)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I implemented a voltage divider before, it works well and you can do that if you feel that the CCS adds complexity
In my experience here are some of the benefits:
1) Having the CCS helps with PSRR
2) better frequency response. The Vref voltage node has a higher impedance.
3) The goal isn't always to set voltage HT/2, this arrangement helps you to adjust easily the voltage you want and have enough swing range to ensure the top MOSFET operates with sufficient VDS

Not difficult to implement, however everyone can implement their own variances

This circuit does can do 1.5Mhz, and sounds really nice.
4P1L-Test-gyrator-board.png

Ale,
Yes, I will test the boards again with the dummy load before inserting them in the circuit. It work before as they were not in the chassis so no short. I will keep you posted as I am not home right now, for a few days, doing business.

Stocktrader200, did not get the chance to measure that before the rectifier blew. I will keep that in mind once the rectifiers arrived.

Thanks again guys, I will keep you posted.

Abe

Hi guys!

Bad news. The rectifier blow out took the power transformer HV. Hammond 370JX spec for HV winding DCR is 84.7 ohms. I am only getting 7.2 ohms. SV winding of Yellow-Yellow is 0.2 ohms, spec is 0.32 so that's okay.
Using a bridge (RED=RED connected to ~ and ~b of the bridge)AQ
it seems lke
Oh well, looks like I need another transformer.ik77

Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you use bridge rectifier (~,~,+,-) aka graetz, and connect RED to ~, RED to ~, the output voltage / between bridge + and - / will be over 700V!!!

If you also connect transformer center tap RED/YEL to bridge: it's a total short circuit, you will destroy the bridge two diodes and maybe a transformer too (if no fuse in the CT-bridge line)!

Connect SINGLE diode anodes to REDs and CT to 0V, connect diodes cathodes together, this is +.

If you use bridge rectifier (~,~,+,-) aka graetz, and connect RED to ~, RED to ~, the output voltage / between bridge + and - / will be over 700V!!!

If you also connect transformer center tap RED/YEL to bridge: it's a total short circuit, you will destroy the bridge two diodes and maybe a transformer too (if no fuse in the CT-bridge line)!

Connect SINGLE diode anodes to REDs and CT to 0V, connect diodes cathodes together, this is +.

Yes, I realized my mistakes. Thank you euro21, I will report back when I received the transformer.

Update:

I finally received the transformer. Hook it up, measured well on B+ etc.
Measurements for R-L on the gyrator board as follows:

TP1: 30.2 mA, and 30.1 mA
Pin1 of 01a: 7.4V and 7.4V
Top of Cathode R: 4.3V, and 4.23V

Input from source to Grid: ~1.9 V at max volume
Plate V: 120V, 121V

It's making music, finally!
Thanks again to all that helped me, Merry Xmas Happy New Year!!!!

I'm glad you like it. The 01a has a level of detail and clarity on the sound that is the best in my experience. Most of the DHT preamps sound fantastic but this one is a step ahead. Hence why so many are building it now. Unfortunately is getting more expensive.
perhaps Thomas Mayer will manufacture this tube in the future? I'd be great
Cheers
ale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.