PR'ed bandpass?

I modified an existing small 6th order Bandpass I got at a flea market with 16cm driver, tuned the reflexes lower, threw the Glas wool damping out, made it active kicking the 12db crossover out, put a big dust cap and refoamed the driver.

Sounded really good with fine impulse response.

Did not expect too much as nothing was measurement assisted!

Listened to radio, o. K. But putting a CD player on showed absolute quality.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...w-distortion-with-a-2-way.334757/post-6711655

Pure fun project turned out to sound pretty well. So go for 6th order

IMG_20200914_172104.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I read that 6th and for sure 8th order alignments are not easy to simulate and predict the outcome.

So one possible way is to build it computing roughly the response and later just apply some EQ if it's not linear enough.

Also I place subwoofers in corners what changes the response too. So EQing it at the end is an easy way to go. Would be great if you can filter below reflex tuning frequency helping the sound a lot

I had the misconception that a driver would have a higher output in a bandpass over a BR

And a tentative thought to bring the bandpass box size down closer to the BR size by eliminating a lot of port volume by using a PR and internal volume by going isobaric while increasing power

A 40-150hz passband with that 12" 17mm xmax 450wrms driver. Two of them in isobaric off a 500wrms x 2 amp

A difficulty you'll encounter is this: PRs need to have around 2x the Vd (volume displacement, cone area * Xmax) of the active cone.

ie, 12" main driver = 2x 12" or 1x 18" PR, assuming equal Xmax.
Box size quickly increases once you have to fit all those PRs on the outside!

Chris

When making a new enclosure always thought taking one box side wood panel as a passive moving "cone" putting it on a smooth pipe of silicon or the like.

But never found a material which can be easily fixed and has the desired properties.
I am working towards this, hence my query regarding a rectangular PR earlier in the thread. I set up my workshop to make waterproof seals/boots for the electric amphibious gokart project and maybe the equipment can be turned towards making a few different types of drivers including PR units. A lot of this is mostly fantasy though as while I do have the software and construction skills, acoustic engineering and its maths is a struggle

Started a thread on this an old idea which would be nice to be realized somehow
My work area is limited to 40cmx40cm for attempting any custom roll surrounds, but I will have a try one day. Following your thread with interest

I'll add a band pass test box to the tiny40s project thread. Listening to the same driver in the various types of cabs in that project should be a revelation, especially with the poor sound effects reported by some