Preamp or receiver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been searching around but can't find any recent posts on this. I'm still fairly new to the home audio world but I picked up some equipment and I'm trying to find the best way to utilize it. Right now I have a pair of Paradigm Esprit monitor speakers (the older dual 8" models) and a M&K MX-70 subwoofer, being controlled by a no-frills Denon AVR. I picked up a pair of Marantz MA-500 amps for the speakers but the Denon doesn't have preamp outputs.

So should I scrap the Denon and get a different AVR with preamp outs, or add a preamp to the Denon? I'm not sure how I would hook the preamp up if I went that route. Also while I won't be using the AVR to power the speakers I still need the HDMI pass-through/switching capabilities so I can hook up the rest of my home theater.

If you really want to use the monoblocks with an AVR, then you need one that has preamp outputs. Or, get a pre/processor (Marantz AV7005?), and add more amps.

Or, since this is DIYaudio, download the service manual for the Denon and figure out how to add preamp outputs.

Or, get a stereo preamp and build up a two-channel music system using the monoblocks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.