Pre-veneered MDF - how to join?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've built my first pair of speakers using butt joints and veneer, but am not 100% happy with the veneering. Looks ok at a distance but up close there a splits, bubbles and chipped edges.

I think I will use pre-veneered MDF next time, but that introduces another problem- how do built a box of of them. Butt joints will leave the end (which is not veneered) visible, and mitre joints are very very difficult to get perfect.

what to do? is this the same problem faced by DIYers using plywood?

Spline joints are one solution. Run a 1/4" router down one panel and knock in samll sections of 1/4" hard board. Thus & so on the second panel. With yellow glue, you can clamp for about an hour. It's not coming apart. Cover the exposed edge with veneer tape.

The other method is to spline into a stile. This gives you an opprotunity to use a contrasting wood or stain. See http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=337683#post337683 Those panels are splined to the verticals.

Well, if all you can make are square cuts, then you can glue some solid wood to the edges of your top and bottom panels. Then glue the side panels to the top and bottom. Then you can round over the solid wood or leave it square. Of course, this doesn't help with the front or back panels. These could be veneered over or painted after assembly.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You might want to practice those 45 degree miter cuts...it's well worth learning to do.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

tktran said:
I've built my first pair of speakers using butt joints and veneer, but am not 100% happy with the veneering. Looks ok at a distance but up close there a splits, bubbles and chipped edges.

I think I will use pre-veneered MDF next time, but that introduces another problem- how do built a box of of them. Butt joints will leave the end (which is not veneered) visible, and mitre joints are very very difficult to get perfect.
Use a tape veneer for the exposed edges. I do think, however, that using unveneered material and actually applying the veneer correctly is the best way to go...

what to do? is this the same problem faced by DIYers using plywood?

Absolutely...

Peace

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.