• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Pre-Amp with russian tubes 1j24b

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I bought from Pollin in Germany some small russian tubes, direct heating, 1j24b. These tubes are pentodes, I would wire them as triodes, and the tubes are pretty cheap as well. Has anyone some experiences with tubes like this? Heating voltage is 1.2 Volts, anode voltage might be 40 Volts, anode current might be 1 mA. Planned is a pre amplifier with these tubes, and I hope so far, this will provide a good sound quality. Just interesting is to me, can I expect a more convenient quality, or would the sound more poor?

Every answer is appreciated.

Best wishes, Holger

Based on this method I would have to agree with you; do you think the method applies to these tubes which are so different in construction?

My crude estimate was obtained by comparing with tubes of known mu in a line stage circuit but since I only used a resistive load, I would not be surprised that my estimate was out by a factor of 2.

I just did some filament current draw measurements on this tube; very consistant at the data sheet value of 13mA @ 1.2V
However, I decided to do some similar measurements on the big brother of this tube, 1P24B-V and most were close to 200mA which was far from the expected 255mA. Admittedly the datasheet was not specifically for the "V" variant. Has anyone else found this? Good news for D cell battery use.

Hi Holger1; Did you complete your project? I just finished and tested an easily portable microphone amplifier (without input transformer and power supply in the same box(!) ) with 2 cascaded stages of 1j24b in triode mode for use with small diaphragm and fairly low output condenser microphones and a hand held recorder with only single ended input. Direct coupling to mosfet source followers interfaces with the recording device and the filament supplies are batteries (the main attraction of proceeding from design to build). The bias is achieved with a IN4148 diode and with a CCS supplying 1.1 mA the anode-cathode voltage settles at about 65 volts. The sound is crystal clear and there are no microphonics. There is some thermal hiss with headphones on full volume but this is not noticeable on loudspeakers when recordings have been made at a reasonable distance. It might be an issue if distant recording were attempted and I would not use this valve at first stage of RIAA. My conclusion; definitely good for audio.

I cannot check the mu directly but the voltage measurements made suggest that the triode connected curves in the link posted by payloadde are reliable. Unfortunately my IT skills are extremely limited and I have no idea how to use engineering CAD. I work from scribbled drawings in my notebook. I will try to make a neat hand drawing of the schematic and then scan it and ask my niece to show me how to post it on this forum; it is probably worth doing so for the efficiency of cramming everything in together rather than any innovative circuitry. The phantom supply, for instance, is provided via an emitter follower from a potential divider across the main HT(which is 180 volts) but this is only reasonable because the mics. I am using draw less than 1 mA from the phantom.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.