PR enclosure question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to shrink my box size as much as possible while still allowing for good HT performance. I do mostly music listening anymore these days, but when I watch a movie, I want it to be how I remember it. I've been using a Blueprint 1503 in a 5.3 cubic foot vented enclosure tuned to ~20Hz. I recently sealed this enclosure up and stuffed it with a couple of pounds of polyfill, which helped with music performance. HT performance is still good, but I am afraid of driving the woofer to its limits.

So, I've been thinking about building (or having built) a PR box. I've modeled in UniBox and found that even as small as 90 liters looks good with two Stryke PR15-1050's in it (they are still on sale for $45 each, and money is tight for this project). It looks like the tuning frequency will be around 22Hz, which seems high, but looks ok in the model.

I was wondering, though, if two 15" PR's would be adequate for this woofer? Isn't the general rule for PR displacement to be twice driver displacement? In this case, it should be ok. Have I missed something as usual? Will it still sound ok for music if I line the walls (my biggest complaint before was that it was sluggish for music)?

Thanks

I've got a 90 liter box with dual 1400 g PR's and the AE AV12 woofer.
Running a 20 Hz sine wave I can get the PR's to bottom out at about 110 dB
Watching movies and music though I haven't found their limits.

Not sure if it would help at all but if you added some mass to the PR's it should lower the box frequency. (I too bought the 1050 g PR's on sale and then cut and weighed some MDF blocks and glued them to the back side of the PR's to add weight http://www.aespeakers.com/phpbb2/mo...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php)

I've got a 90 liter box with dual 1400 g PR's and the AE AV12 woofer.
Running a 20 Hz sine wave I can get the PR's to bottom out at about 110 dB
Watching movies and music though I haven't found their limits.

Not sure if it would help at all but if you added some mass to the PR's it should lower the box frequency. (I too bought the 1050 g PR's on sale and then cut and weighed some MDF blocks and glued them to the back side of the PR's to add weight http://www.aespeakers.com/phpbb2/mo...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php)

needtubes said:
...I've modeled in UniBox and found that even as small as 90 liters looks good with two Stryke PR15-1050's in it...

I was wondering, though, if two 15" PR's would be adequate for this woofer? Isn't the general rule for PR displacement to be twice driver displacement?
Forget rule of thumb, you can see if your PR's are adequate in Unibox. The PR graph shows excursion vs power for the PR's IIRC.

PR bass will be essentially the same as you had with ported before. A superior option for dual use is ported for HT and stuff the port(s) for music. Hopefully you only covered the ports you had, so it would be a zero cost option since finances are tight. Why spend the $90 on the PR's and go back to the same sluggish sound you had before for music and lose the flexibility of being able to stuff the ports? You can fit it in a smaller box, but that's about it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.