PPI 6600.2 Turns on and off

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sometimes, only 1 of each shorts and reinstalling the remaining ones that weren't defective allows you to continue troubleshooting.

Order replacements. Also order several of the small transistors in that area (MPSA06 and MPSA56?). Check all of the resistors near the outputs.

Digikey and mouser are good distributors. Don't buy semiconductors from eBay.

It may be the only problem but you may also have defective driver transistors. That's why I suggested that you order them.

When you power it up initially, you'll need to do so with a 15 amp fuse (nothing larger) in series with the B+ line. The cover will have to be clamped tightly on the transistors. Don't crossthread the screws when reinstalling them. If you strip the threads, it can be a pain to repair and the amp won't be reliable without having all screws applying pressure.

I'm in Gonzales.

The drivers are the MPSA06s and MPSA56s. At least check them to confirm that none of the drivers for that channel are shorted.

If none are shorted, replace the cover and tighten all of the screws. Insert nothing larger than a 15 amp fuse in the B+ line and power up the amp.

Does it blow the fuse?

Does it produce clean audio from that channel?

No, I didn't change those, but I do remember you said to earlier. Can you tell me where they are from this picture? I have no idea what MPSA06 or MPSA56 means or looks like and I don't see anything in here with those #s on it.

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 36
MPSA06/56 should be much smaller than the outputs you just replaced. They are likely about 1-2 inches inword from the outputs you just placed. They are three legged transistors... Perhaps the MPSA portion says something else, but they should still have 06 or 56 written on the transistor.

I just fixed two of these; you are on the right track and very close!

Also, it looks like someone already replaced some pieces in your amp; two of the large resistors are different from all the others. Make sure all are w/i tollerance as well as the transistors measuring equally next to any previously changed out. Make sure all those large resistors are w/i tollerance.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.