Powersoft M-Force Specs Now Available

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yes though I assume it must be a blast working for them haha. I'm also waiting on an IPAL amp module, and 18sound should have my 8 21ID into the country at some point shortly
So, why the 21iD and not B&C 21 IPal? Ricci tested the later and it's a real monster of a driver.
I know 18sounds has good products and reliable and I really like that state compression rates.
How will you use them?
Thanks

People aren't rational. We're not thinking machines, we're - we're feeling machines that happen to think. Peter Watts

$$$.

I got them for around half the wholesale price of the 21 IPAL.

The first use will be the obvious bass reflex solution. this will also serve as our test cab for the "flexible T/S parameters", hopefully leading to front loaded horn (stock, they have far to much motor for flh).

^^ yes. Ricci's tests are very objective and are very helpfull for the comunity. Testing that driver would share some light about it.
After the test on the BMS 18"driver, I also hope BMS will develop a 21" driver.
Also, I am waiting for objective tests of IPal driver-module combos. It seems promising and there are some companies that could use this tech (Martin Audio is already using it).

People aren't rational. We're not thinking machines, we're - we're feeling machines that happen to think. Peter Watts

$$$.

I got them for around half the wholesale price of the 21 IPAL.

The first use will be the obvious bass reflex solution. this will also serve as our test cab for the "flexible T/S parameters", hopefully leading to front loaded horn (stock, they have far to much motor for flh).

intresting to know how flexible those parameters are.
maybe a hybrid horn .
another thing is the differnential pressure mode,where do you put it in a horn/th?

keep us posted

I've been waiting and waiting.

the DPC sensor and horns is my main concern. I believe martin is using that tech with some basshorns and IPAL drivers, so hopefully we will be able to implement it.

LE and RE are adjustable in the mforce. increasing RE also increases qts. I'm keen to see how big a player the massive LE/RE spec on the Mforce becomes.

your gues is as good as mine .in a bass reflex its simple(correct the parameters according to the pressure at the front)
in a horn i gues its differend,at the mouth(the horn and driver are one system?)
or like you sugest.
anyway our powesoft shipment came in last week.
hope sine's comming in soon.
lots of testing i supose.

cheers

Hi epa,

Thanks for replying. Perhaps I’m wrong but what I picked up from the explanation at the Frankfurter Messe, is that it needs to measure the pressure at both sides of the cone and therefore I suppose not at the mouth of the horn where the pressure is lower...

Anyway, keep us updated on your findings/experiments, since it is very interesting :)

Cheers,
Djim

What funny is...Digital Electronic Corp. DEC used a similar magnet structure to move their heads in the RM80 and RM81 disk drives in the 90s. Fixed oval coil, 2 push pull moving magnets. The big difference is DEC used the concept in a rotary actuator not linear. I've had two of those assemblies in a box for over 20 years.

Could be easy DIY Hhmmm.

Reviving this one..
I see D.A.S. Audio and AuraAudio use the 30" driver in their subwoofers.Also EAW uses the 40". So from what i read a single driver in a 520 liters enclosure can reach 150 dB measured from 35 hz. This means 156 dB from two of them.
From what I read, Martin Audio maneged to use the IPal tech in their ASX and MLX and get also over 150 dB measured. So i think it is a good tech. I am very curious to se some measurement (I think everyone wants ) but if they can get those kind of SPL from such compact enclosures, they could be game changers for many.
Is here anyone who had a listen to them ?

The efficiency is related to the Bl^2/Re, for the M-Force that ratio is 2035, without considering that the usual efficiency calculated with the conventional formula don't take in account the fact that in a subwoofer configuration the impedance of the system have his maximum variability in his working bandwidth. For every kind of subwoofer, the real efficiency (Acoustic power out on electric power in) is well above the conventional number, and this can be even improved if using a class D amplifier, with his possibility to recycle the energy stored in the reactive part of the transducer.

Anybody remember the phono cartridge wars between moving magnets and moving coils?

Or 1935 Philco Radio electric field coils in drivers? Or is this nothing but an electric field coil powered by an audio signal?

I wonder if the moving armature is held in place with "mag-lev"? Whatever keeps the armature centered, it means the cone needs no centering or restoring spider because the armature does that for the cone apex. And likewise the Q is very, very low (which is what a music reproducer should be so as to have no sound characteristic of its own).

I suppose this concept really can work with todays' sophisticated control systems. Good riddence, I say, to the primitive Rice-Kellogg cardboard flapping driver.... a design inappropriate to moving air straight out of some 19th century physics lab.

Hard to dig below the commercial puffery of 2013 to learn details of the IPAL system (which interests me more) or the M-Power. Anybody have good recent links?

Ben

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.