Powering amplifier from two coil transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!
I have U core transformer with two coils. Each coil has a two secondary sections (different), and I want to power each power amp channel from a separate secondary winding. What's better, power each channel from sections of one coil or use sections from both? Channels work in cl.A and needs unipolar supply.
Thanks!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Powering from separate windings could in theory allow for better isolation and less problems with ground loops.

Very hard to say without knowing all the details. You make it sound as though the two secondaries are different anyway. It might be easier if you draw the proposed wiring scheme and maybe pictures of the transformer :)

On this kind of transformer, all windings are normally spread 0.5/0.5 between the legs, both primary and secondary, and they are all meant to be associated in series or parallel.

Doing otherwise will increase the leakage inductance and lead to poor regulation.
Sometimes, that is the design goal: like in ballast/Xformer combo's for gas discharge lamps.

I don't know whether it is one of your design goals for this supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.