Powered Mixer (no gain knob)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I acquired a powered mixer in a trade that I want to use. I normally gain stage as one of the first steps.

Its a Yamaha EMX5112SC unit, and all it has is "level" on each chanel. Other than that it has a master volume over by the main EQ and mon EQ.

Just curious on how to set gain so I dont clip, have enough headroom, etc...

I acquired a powered mixer in a trade that I want to use. I normally gain stage as one of the first steps.

Its a Yamaha EMX5112SC unit, and all it has is "level" on each chanel. Other than that it has a master volume over by the main EQ and mon EQ.

Just curious on how to set gain so I dont clip, have enough headroom, etc...
In principle use Master Volume on 10 or at least on 7 or higher and then use individual "level" pots as needed.

Yamaha is an experienced Company and I bet they set each channel input stage gain (which you can´t control) to a sensible value which fits most "normal" cases.

IF one source is so hot it clips mixer input even with channel Level set to a low value, then you´ll need to attenuate just that particular source, with a fixed resistive divider or lowering its gain or volume control.

No need to mess with Yamaha mixer.

By the way, I guess it´s an EMX512, not 5112

81PNsUve7WL._AC_SL800_.jpg

It has switches on channel 1-4 to use with mics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.