• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

power transformer heat

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Icompleted my first 2A3 amp and it works well. Everything seems at an exceptable temperature however the power transformer seems pretty hot after the amp is on for over an hour. being that this is my first amp
I have no concept of how hot or cool it should be.

Jeff

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Air holes around a transformer are unlikely to help cooling. But you could indulge in a spot of dual monolithic avicide (kill two birds with one stone) by adding a new transformer specifically for the audio valve heaters. In the UK, you can buy transformer kits from Maplin that have a split bobbin with a ready-wound primary and an empty chamber for the secondary. You then wind your own secondaries. You can gain some important advantages:

(1). Wind the 2.5V (2A3) windings with a centre-tap to help reduce hum. Do the same for the other heater windings, too.

(2). You no longer have capacitance from the HT windings to couple rectifier switching noise to the sensitive heater wiindings and thence to cathodes.

Oh, and.

(3). The reduced load on the existing transformer wil almost certainly allow it to run cooler...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.