Power Surges - ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Perhaps this topic doesnt belong here but Ive encountered a strange issue. In my home theatre, I was soldering a crossover and noticed a slight shock when touching anything metal with the tip of the iron. At the same time, my projector would lose signal and goto static and then bounce back after a few seconds...I unplugged the soldering iron to check it it was fine. As soon as I plugged it back in I could hear a small arc/spark at the outlet and the projector lost signal again. Whats strange is these are two different circuits with double surge protection. On that same outlet is an air purifier with one of those "ozone" switches that lights up purple and supposedly creates ionization..I unplugged the air filter and the problem was totally solved no more problems...I then flipped on the ionizer switch and voil found the problem....So if the ionizer is on, anything i plug into the outlet will cause all my equipment to razzle dazzle. What the heck is going on? How can an ionizer create this kind of problem?

Just doing the boards for the ion containment for a mass spectrometer, some interesting voltages going to the electrodes and rf as well.... cant cross the signals over because you get localised PCB heating and fried traces....
So in an ioniser there are so many opportunity's for EMC problems, sparks, nasties etc. don't use them.... And commercial stuff wont be done with the same care that goes into very expensive scientific gear, we've been at it since January....

In my home theatre, I was soldering a crossover and noticed a slight shock when touching anything metal with the tip of the iron. At the same time, my projector would lose signal and goto static and then bounce back after a few seconds...
Your iron has a leakage current. That should be so small as to not cause damage. But what actually exists is unknown without numbers.

For example, if that iron was powered by a GFCI, then leakage currents > 5 milliamps (excessive) would be known.

Surge protection would do nothing. Even a dangerous leakage current would not exceed 330 volts. So protectors would ignore it.

Another example that could explain it. Safety ground and ionizer both have defects. Stray currents are therefore appearing on the iron. Is that dangerous? Again, powering both via a GFCI would provide a fact so that a useful response is possible.

Those are two of many possible situations. With limited information and no numbers, every reply can only be speculation. An accurate reply means required facts and numbers are provided. Even a safe leakage current could still cause that projector interference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.