Power supply question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm working on the ESP DoZ amp. The suggested power supply uses a 30-0-30 with grounded centre tap to give the required 40V.
If I use a twin secondary 0-30V transformer, can I construct a dual mono power supply with 2 full-wave rectifier bridges? Can I connect the '-ve' of both bridge to ground as I'm not sure if the LV AC input to the bridges may be out of phase?

If your transformer is fully extended (two separate coils out instead of what you say center tap), what you need to do is to use two sets of FW rectifiers per transformer. The advantage is less noise since you don't get huge currents around the ground. If the center tap is only exposed as one wire, you cannot really benefit from this trick.

If you use the secondary transformer for dual mono supply, you may wish to connect the grounds together (In general, all grounds should go to one central point). I have no understanding of why you might wish to connect anything else toghether in a dual mono outfit.

Petter

Thanx!

So I gather that it is OK to connect the 2 grounds together as long as the secondaries are individual coils.

Paulb, there hasn't been much action since I soldered the components on board for the last 1 mth!!! Will post once I heard some sound from it!!

Correct, they are separate circuits if they use separate secondary windings, so you can connect them together after the rectifier.
I know the routine. Some of my DIY projects take a year or so. What's really annoying is when I change my mind about what to build before I actually build it...

re dual power supply...

Petter said:
...If you use the secondary transformer for dual mono supply, you may wish to connect the grounds together (In general, all grounds should go to one central point). I have no understanding of why you might wish to connect anything else toghether in a dual mono outfit.

Petter

In my dual-mono JLH setup each channel (ps + amp) had it's 'own' central ground, and only the RCA connectors were mounted without shielding to the chassis. Resulted in an amp without any audible hum.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.