Power Supply heating the capacitors and burning line filter fuses immediately

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Indeed unusual. A guess, the capacitors do not handle the close to 70V well and leak. With your 12V transformer you can test if they are polarized correctly (according to what is marked on the capacitors). If you leave them for longer time with the big transformer they will probably explode.

I was able to solve the problem.
It was a silly mistake. Good thing it did not damage the capacitors.

Is this store trustworthy, that means, are you sure that they didn't sell you faked 'lytics? We've yet had many examples here :rolleyes:.
Best regards!

Unfortunately I can not state with conviction that the capacitors are true.
The store is a reference in my city.
All I have to do is hope that they are original.
The measurements made with the capacimeter gave a result within the expected value of the capacitors.

The capacitors are master brands? are they thruthful? I saw fake chinese capacitors movies on youtube. These are much smaller either in capacity or in voltage, and inserted in big capacitor cases. The manufacture is not made by hand and it does not appear obvious from external view.

I really hope they are true and reliable as they were not cheap.
But after fixing the problem of assembly, everything started to work well, without heating and without high power consumption.

The capacitors are master brands? are they thruthful? I saw fake chinese capacitors movies on youtube. These are much smaller either in capacity or in voltage, and inserted in big capacitor cases. The manufacture is not made by hand and it does not appear obvious from external view.

But after fixing the problem of assembly, everything started to work well, without heating and without high power consumption.

After having been polarized wrong with some 17Vdc from your 12-0-12Vac transformer and then exposed to 70Vdc, again the wrong way and until they heated importantly, they seem still to work. My suspicion of "fake" items causing part of the problem with this history would be none. You are lucky they show no clear defects following that treatment.

After having been polarized wrong with some 17Vdc from your 12-0-12Vac transformer and then exposed to 70Vdc, again the wrong way and until they heated importantly, they seem still to work. My suspicion of "fake" items causing part of the problem with this history would be none. You are lucky they show no clear defects following that treatment.

I was really lucky that I did not damage the capacitors.
Now with everything assembled properly, the power supply works just fine.
I changed the board I made manually for an industrialized one, it has a better finish and a thicker layer of copper.

See pictures of how the project is at this moment.

Attachments

• 20190220_193543-2016x1512.jpg
    20190220_193543-2016x1512.jpg
    697.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 20190220_193413-2016x1512.jpg
    20190220_193413-2016x1512.jpg
    794.7 KB · Views: 67
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.