Power Suplies for solid state amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dinky

Personally, I think 300VA transformers are dinky. The guy who wrote that seemed to think they were mighty big. As with 15,000 uf of capitance?

I know there's a big difference between DIYers and commercial offering, but 300 VA? That's about the size Creek puts in his very small components, no?

Thanks,

Aaron Finley <-- the guy with dual 2KVA toroids for his SOZ

Don´t forget that it depends on what kind of amplifier you have. 300 VA is good for a class AB amp of middle power but for a single ended class A working on high current bias you need a lot more. So it depends allways on what kind of amp you need to power and what currents you have for bias.
Ilias Kamouzis

Francois,

Yes, if your circuit draws 200VA.. but then again, he's talking about a 100W-200W/ch amp and that is far, far too low in my book for acceptable draw = acceptable sound quality. The farther into Class A the better.

This is not a scientific thing im saying, just a personal opinion that BIG amps are more fun to build. That's all.

-- Finley

Boy yes thay are Monster 200 Watt Plus Amps are A Blast with all Those Massive Heatsinks and Power Supply Components. I use (2) 1200 Watt Transformer on just one Channel of A Dual Mono Design Similar to the Leach Amp. Also (4) Massive 65,000uF/100Volt Cornell Computor Grade's. I Dont Know what Part gives the Most But the Total Package is Awsom Lots of Dynamics with Tight Control of the Bass.. Smaller Power supplys seem to Bloat the Bass and Restrict the Dynamic range.

Guys, I agree with you....

Guys, I agree with you.

My DIYer side says:
DIY audio it is about fun and oversizing components to have fun it is not a problem for me :)

My engineer side says:
Engineering it is about math and numbers, it is why I wrote that it is not useful to spend money on oversized component if you only want the “computed” performance.

Both sides says:
Thanks ;)

Large amp

Yup!

Women actually like the SOZ, it's 19"W, 12"H, and 30"D !!..heheh!!

4KVA toroid total in the box.

Im actually thinking of building a very large Class A/B amp, maybe of the same size, but of monoblocks, and looking for 1000+W into 8 ohms, with a HIGH damping factor, I want iron grip on the bass.. will the Anthony Holton design work or should I look for something larger?

-- Finley

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.