Power problem: Denon AVP-5000 preamp... Heard of one of these?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This Top-of-the-line Denon audio/video preamp was salvaged from the dump.. It was found upside-down (likely thrown down onto the concrete).
The preamp worked fine when brought home and tested. My theory is that it has a bad solder joint somewhere that caused the original owner to throw it away. When it hit the concrete at the dump, it jarred the joint back together.

Now, after a long car ride, (7hrs) it is not working. It turns on right when you plug it in, then shuts off after about 10 seconds, and is totally unresponsive.

I have it apart, and am going to try to visually scan the boards for bad solder joints.

If anyone knows anything about this preamp and might be able to help, I'd be very gratefull!

- - Reuben

I have one that is equally flakey. Let me know if you find anything out about how to fix it. I inspected the solder work with a digital microscope and I don't think that cold solder is the problem...more like a strange state it loops into as a result of multiple S/W bugs....or maybe multiple bad caps. If it were a chip failure, it would not work some of the time. There are a bunch of these out there...all failed. You would think that Denon would stand behind a $3500 preamp but all I got from them was that "it's out of warranty". They had no business dabbling in semi-high end gear in the first place.

it can be a loose "screw" that hold the board to ground connections. I have seen it before. also it can be a broken join in the board, RCA connections etc etc. just turn it on and with a piece of plastic or wood softly push board in small areas and watch if it comes on...than do the same in another area. sometimes these brakes are very tough to find. just spent sometime on it. Good luck in your hunt! ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.