power cord upgrades, and power conditioner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We're already on the 6th page and the OP hasn't yet offered a single wall voltage measurement.

Although in fact we need at least 2: one with load (I suggested a cheap electrical heater) and one without.
I suggested that very simple test in post #24 ... still nothing.

Of course, that would introduce numbers and measuring in a Faith based argument.
Really ... how do I dare to introduce Logic into this?
Dude, that's why the entire topic is pointless. It has been from the beginning. ;)
It's my impression the OP is epicly reluctant and resistant to any advice. :cool:

Joined 2003
Paid Member
TerryO, seems you are right, but I hold back a little and feel, possible gag.:rolleyes:

That is the most comical thread I have seen..:)

I had a Brief encounter with a guy who spent a fortune on equipment including cables.. His speakers were flat against the back wall and very poor setup overall. This guy was in the process of buying several Siltech cables.. I see they have a $10,800 power cable. The plug housing is made from cool looking Carbon fiber..

First thing anyone should do is set up the speakers properly, have no reflective surfaces on flat plane between them and get required amount of acoustic treatment for the particular room... Any equipment upgrading before doing this is pointless, IMHO.

If the OP has a potentially hazardous problem with the Hydro, I sincerely hope he has it repaired:flame:

The point that I find interesting (and stupid at the same time) is ....aren't these cables...if you believe the marketing vomitus...supposed to be more transparent / easier power transmission? Now, IF a person believes this, as the OP clearly does, wouldn't that be the absolute worst thing you could use if you had dirty mains supply? If someone had a broken amplifier that shot out tons of RF or dropouts or whatever, would the cure in that case be more expensive speaker cable?

Furthermore, if your mains supply so nasty that it's comparable to what you'd get in the slums of Calcutta, to the point where there's arcing, with poor contacts and fire risks...what on earth would make someone want to take an expensive mains cable and plug it into that crap?

If I was the OP, I'd have all my audio gear wrapped in plastic and stored in a closet because I wouldn't want to even risk trying to use it or cause a fire, but what's suggested here is...oh, let's place even more hard earned cash into the mix so that even more money goes up in smoke when the inevitable building fire occurs.

The whole premise is ridiculously laughable on so many levels, it's counter-productive to even entertain it as an answerable question.

The little Y capacitors inside the filter are good at diverting interference on the AC line and dumping it onto the chassis. That's good because it stops the crud from getting inside the box. But not so good if it ends up going from the chassis onto the shields of your unbalanced signal cables, causing an RF ground loop.

I think the Y-caps (inner the filter) try to balanced the line, but the neutral of the AC line is usually connected at ground in anywhere: mid-voltage trafo or similar place.This make a unbalanded and a ground loop with its self problems: noise.

May be a separate trafo 1:1 can break the neutral+ground line loop or an other partial solution can be the use of little valour for Y-caps in the filter to mimize the unbalance (medical grade?).

I will try them.

Thanks

Last edited:
How many agree?
How many disagree?

So far 2 agree they are rubbish
and 1 disagrees.

I just opened up my Bel Can to CD1, the PSU shield. I found an EMI IEC socket. Then I removed it, replaced it. The results were as if I had swapped CD players entirely.

It made me think of this topic, where some think those little audio-ruining pieces are somehow of value.

It sounded bulbous, bloaty, minorly irritating, and less dynamic with the EMI IEC. Now it's much more refined, dynamic, and PRAT is improved.

As I said before, they're rubbish. This however is the most dramatic improvement I've experienced.

I have a power conditioner that's very good, so I have mains filtering. Even if I have EMI more now, it means nothing in the face of MUCH better sound. I'd suspect the EMI filter may also cause resonances since it had no dampening. My power conditioner has better inductor, caps, and is dampened. There's no stupid Y cap on line either.

It sounded bulbous, bloaty, minorly irritating, and less dynamic with the EMI IEC. Now it's much more refined, dynamic, and PRAT is improved.

As I said before, they're rubbish. This however is the most dramatic improvement I've experienced.

I have a power conditioner that's very good, so I have mains filtering. Even if I have EMI more now, it means nothing in the face of MUCH better sound. I'd suspect the EMI filter may also cause resonances since it had no dampening. My power conditioner has better inductor, caps, and is dampened. There's no stupid Y cap on line either.

Interesting experience !!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.