POTENTIAL FAKE PCM56P -SAME SERIAL NUMBER?

Hello guys, hope you guys doing well.
i recently purchased a simple board from china, it came with PCM56P with same serial numbers, idk how Burr-Brown printed their batches but for me they look like potential fakes or china Used rebadged for cleaner look... it comes from the company BRZHIFI. here i send a pic since i couldn't find much info on this chips.

My question is, what are your thoughts, fakes, or if you have experience, where could i find real ones?
Thank you.

20240525_154915.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No serial numbers on commercial ICs. These are plant, lot and date codes. Marked Philippines for origin I guess (but probably not) I am pretty sure these are knockoffs (counterfeit) manufactured in China. This chip was cutting edge 4 decades ago.

BB has been a division of TI for decades. Current TI production are SOIC 16 and are labeled TI. Direct from TI they are ~$16.00 each and from DigiKey which has stock wants over $30 per part.

Given what the board cost I would just enjoy tinkering with it. If it sounds good, you are in a good spot. The PCM56P dates from the mid to late 1980s and is a very, very old design. (The use of the BB logo is likely unauthorized)

If you are looking at other boards in the future do consider some of the AKM chips like the 4393, 4396 (obs), and any 44xx series. The 4396 is out of production so watch out for fakes. PCM1702 (obs), PCM1704 (obs) and PCM1794 etc from TI are others to look at.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thank you, i was taking a look at some other pcm56 chips, and i see them having similarity in design. serial number order etc... i guess NOS chips that where never used, i wonder where PHL comes from, as i see some are JAPAN, KOREA marked.
I think they all come from China and are counterfeit. I was able to find many examples online, some with date codes that imply they were made in the mid 1990s which is likely long after actual production of these parts in commercial quantities ended. I am not sure why TI even offers them in a modern SOIC package.

Reactions: 1 user
hmmm... ive seen some people doing good designs with them, after doing more research i think they are good.
a good rule of thumb is, if it sounds good, compared to Original parts, then its good :)
Purchasing directly from BRZHIFI hasnt let me down yet, i owned a pair of PCM58 pulled from a player, i messed up a pin and ended up buying a pair from BRZHIFI, once it came it looked like it was pulled from old units... didnt doubt their authenticity at first site and not even after testing.

im currently liking this ones more than the pcm58, i will try to look for a player and pull them out and replace them and do a comparison just for fun.:cool: