Post Finished Projectors Here!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I didn't see a thread for ppl to post their completed creations, so I am going to start one. Please, only post pics of your picture quality, and/or projector setup. Only if you are complete, or far along in the stage. It would be cool to see people's setups.

I'll start with mine:

LCD panel: NView Spectra C (modded, see pic)
OHP: Apollo Concept (4K lumen)
Screen: Da-Lite 60" glass bead

I totally dismantled the Spectra C, and mounted it directly to the stage of the OHP. Then, duct-tape around the edges, getting rid of like 70% of light loss. Then, with the space between the LCD and the stage, I used the fans to draw air from the space, and out the vent. works well, never and overhead issue and i've used it in 90F weather for 4 hours straight... (i have no A/C in my house). controller board is attached to back of projector in a make-shift cardboard box. this is just a temporary step.

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,410
Hello everyone. This is my first time here so be nice. Since finding this forum I've gotten really interested in building my own projector for big screen fun. I have a question for you, Cowanrg. I just won a Spectra C on ebay. It should be here in a couple of days. I've never used a lcd panel before. Does this panel have a video input or do I need an adapter? If I need an adapter I'd like to order one to be here when the panel arrives. And what kind of controller box system do you have? I already have the Overhead projector so I can't wait to see what my results look like.If they look half as nice as yours I'll be very happy. And I hope this is the appropriate place to ask.

well, for starters, this is totally the wrong place to ask.

but since i started typing, i might as well finish i guess.

the scectra c has its own inputs, which is the DB15 (computer monitor), AND if you get a newer spectra c, or just a spectra, it will have rca input as well. (some ppl may argue with me, but i know what im talking about... some do.)

as far as getting yours to look like mine, well, you need a high lumen projector AND removing it from casing and modifying it like i did helps tremendously. i do not have any other parts than the spectra c and my OHP. you dont need any controller boards, or any additional parts, UNLESS you plan on adding RCA functionality, (if it doesnt already support it). then you need an input box.

but, as im sure from your questions, you haven't yet thoroughly read the forums, i would suggest you do so, and you will find answers to the parts i left out.

Question for cowanrg on resolution

Regarding the projected resolution, do you get the 'screen door' effect? I have an old Davis Powerbeam projector that my boss was getting rid of and I notice that a lot...the pixels are blown up so large they are annoying.

Also, are you using the same power supply for both the ohp and the display?

Re: Question for cowanrg on resolution

ldkaplan said:
Regarding the projected resolution, do you get the 'screen door' effect? I have an old Davis Powerbeam projector that my boss was getting rid of and I notice that a lot...the pixels are blown up so large they are annoying.

Also, are you using the same power supply for both the ohp and the display?

hum, as far as a screen door effect, not really. it depends on the source. if its a dvd, or high quality source, there isnt a screen door effect at all. but, if its a lower source, like an mpeg, or a divx or something, at times, with lower bitrate sources, you get a little pixelation. also, in very very low lighting scenes, there is blockiness. but that is really due to the source combined with low contrast... (commercial projectors have like 1000+:1 contrast ratios. mine, 100:1)

but you see the screen image, and thats at 60" (not diagonally, across). so, if you cant see the pixels there, they dont exist. there was 0 cleanup on that picture.

as far as power supply, OHP's use standard 120V from the wall. they have their own built in supplies for the light, etc... and the panel has an external transformer. i was going to wire them all together for 1 plug/switch, but i decided not to, since this is just my prototype, and ill be messing around more with it later.

but, its perfectly feasible to wire the transformer into the powersupply of the OHP, or vice versa, if you know what you are doing... or just use a powerstrip with a switch on it :) that works too.

yeah, i have one of those.

it works for me, i just tested it. the panel has to be on for it to work though... so you gotta keep the panel plugged in for the passthrough to work.

as you can see from my pictures, my IR port is kinda covered, so ive never even used the remote except from the first day, i cleared all settings...

just make sure the panel is on though. (just plugged in)

This panel seems great, is the motion smooth and not blurred? I am currently contemplating either this or a Sharp QA-1750 for ahead my newly purchased Elite Vision 4000 (4000 lumens) OHP.

Any input as to which panel i should choose will be greatly appreciated.

thanx

well, the pictures i took are from an OLD fujifilm digital camera. its not a megapixel even... its back when megalpixel was a big deal... so its not super high quality.

the OTHER pictures i took are from a sony handycam... its not a digital, just a hi8mmXR. so, take that for what it's worth... but none of those pictures have touched photoshop. that's what the colors really look like.

i could post a picture of it displaying the 24bit color bar in windows or the pallette in photoshop of anyone wants?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.