Possibly the stupidest question ever but...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can't seem to find the answer regardless. It's so simple I guess it is automatically glossed over. Here is a little background so I don't look like a complete idiot.

I've been a car audio nut for many many years, and as I've evolved and grown in that hobby I've ended up using home audio equipment about as much as mobile based equipment. Realizing how great some of these drivers could sound on axis in perfectly tuned enclosures, I realized I just have to build a home system to really enjoy my growing music collection. But what I don't get yet, is what do I use for a source unit? In car audio we have the head unit obviously, and the only parallel I could think of would be something like this Amazon.com: Pioneer VSX-1020-K 7.1 Home Theater Receiver: Electronics

I understand crossovers, box design and driver parameters... but have no freaking clue on the basics of source units for home audio. Some source units appear to be amplified and some do not...i just don't know where to start.

Ideally I'd like to build some tube amps (thank god I finally found this site or I would have been ready to give up on that) and a good 3 way + sub system, just to listen to music on in the house. Anybody have some good threads or links to cover source unit selection considerations?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the annoyance, I look forward to learning lots from this forum!

Possibly the stupidest answer ever.

Yes, that receiver will work just fine. If you are not planning to use a whole bunch of speakers then perhaps consider a 2 channel receiver. If you never listen to the radio then consider a 2 channel integrated amplifier. As you grow and your addiction increases whereby you require a bigger and bigger fix, your tastes will evolve. Sure you can talk about building this and that and having a go at tubes but you're going to need something to listen to while you are building your end all system. Often you can find nice stuff used but if you want new then I'll let the others make suggestions.

Now onto the source. Some use CD/DVD players, some use iPods and some use their computers. Once you get into the addiction thing, consider a turntable. Many persons still feel they offer the best sound and since you'll be listening to tubes, you might as well go along with that reasoning.

I am glad you are into speakers because without them your system will be rather quiet. I like to go for the largest box that meets the WAF so make sure you sauce her up a bit with a bottle of wine before approaching that subject. Nothing beats cubic inches but if you have to go small there are options that allow you to think the speakers are bigger than they actually are.

I have to go pick up SWMBO now but I am interested in how you deal with your soon to be known as 'addiction'

I am glad you are into speakers because without them your system be rather quiet. I like to go for the largest box that meets the WAF so make sure you sauce her up a bit with a bottle of wine before approaching that subject. Nothing bet cubic inches but if you have to go small there are options that allow you to think the speakers are bigger than they actually are.

Lol I'm not going to be too limited on using tiny drivers...the girlfriend will let me do what I want as long as I stain it up nice so it fits room and lie about how much it costs.

Hmmm So i can simply add bluetooth or various other line in modules such as they sell at parts express to whatever amp I choose/ build and basically be done without a receiver like that? That's kinda what I was hoping for. I have severe obsession issues when I get into something and I just moved up a tax bracket or two at work...expect my addiction progress to be breathtaking in scope. For instance I'm now thinking of a small boombox project for the gym at work and a bookshelf system for my work pc...

OK, so honey is safe and sound back home, I've had a beer and can concentrate on the more important things in life like getting someone hooked on a non-body-damaging-drug.

As far as that receiver goes, it's an HT unit. If don't hook up all the speakers you're wasting those other channels. If you use it for TV, then fine, put speakers all around your room.

Obsession? No my friend, addiction is the correct term.

Congrats on moving up the tax bracket. The bottle of wine you buy her just got better tasting and the feather in the cap used to belong to an Eagle rather than a Robin.

Breathtaking huh? Perhaps you need to spend a little more time here before saying that. This forum is not so much about yahoos like you and me, this place has some persons who's accomplishments and stature are what you think of as breathtaking. Some of the finest minds in audio are here. No ****.

Moving on. Will your boombox be plugged in or battery powered? Makes a big difference.

Will this bookshelf system at work include a woofer unit?

When do we get to discuss the important stuff like great big speakers for the livingroom that the girlfriend doesn't mind you having?

As far as that receiver goes, it's an HT unit. If don't hook up all the speakers you're wasting those other channels. If you use it for TV, then fine, put speakers all around your room.

Got it. Honestly that was just the first "reciever" I found since Amazon was open on the next window, I didn't even look at available channels.

Breathtaking huh? Perhaps you need to spend a little more time here before saying that. This forum is not so much about yahoos like you and me, this place has some persons who's accomplishments and stature are what you think of as breathtaking. Some of the finest minds in audio are here. No ****.

The scope of my accomplishments was not what I purported to be breathtaking, just the speed of my demise. Anyway I'm a salesman, I BS for a living. Hyperbole is impossible to avoid at this point, sorry.

Moving on. Will your boombox be plugged in or battery powered? Makes a big difference

Plugged in

Will this bookshelf system at work include a woofer unit?

Probably, I'd possibly like to use something like the 3 inch tang band makes

When do we get to discuss the important stuff like great big speakers for the livingroom that the girlfriend doesn't mind you having?

Now of course. While it may not be smart to start with the big stuff, this is the first priority. Old aiwa boombox is already in the gym and there are a pair of crappy speakers attached to my computer I can live with....but nothing in my house besides a laptop. Sad isn't it?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sad? Downright depressing my friend.

Plug in boomboxes make it so much easier. I have built a couple and both are very rewarding. Mind you I tend to take things further than need be but WTH, you only live once. Consider a biamped system with a woofer and plate amp, then a FR or two way on another amp. You'll appreciate the control you have over the sound regardless of the environment you are in.

I like Tang Band drivers. You seem to get good value from them.

Your big speakers intrigue me. How big a foot print and how close to the ceiling do you want to go?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
To give you some perspective, this box has four 12" woofers and a 12" coax. Rear ported with PA style drivers. You don't need a separate woofer with these. It's on the large size for house speakers. That a regular pint mug on top.
48" H
26" W
16" D
One heck of a lot smaller than what you are planning [or at least have room for] so I'm guessing you have a license to kill and would like to do it with your speakers?

Let's talk budget Mr. Higher Tax Bracket.

Attachments

• IMG_1549.jpg
    IMG_1549.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 113
Yes, could be that big, doesn't have to be. In regards to the ceiling comment you asked how closely I wanted them placed. Idk? But that's the space I have to work with, 8 foot ceiling. I've no experience with PA style drivers other than attending concerts but that looks interesting.

I love hearing the little details in music, I'd really like something specifically SQ oriented. As far as budget I am very DIY oriented. Not exactly cheap but I won't be spending $500 for a set of morel tweeters either. (incidentally I have dayton rs28 silkies in the car, they are amazing) Besides I probably won't be purchasing everything at once, but building this over a couple of months

OK Jim, I have removed you from moderation so you can post directly now.

If you are interested in SQ you have to be careful using PA drivers. Some are really good but you pay handily for them. Personally I like PA drivers as they tend to exhibit good transients and are very rugged. Others are not as enamoured with them and they have their own set of reasons. If you are after HiFi type drivers I will have to ask that others step in here as I am a bit of a hack and I'm thinking others might be in a better position to get you headed the right way. Let's see what happens.

If you go HiFi, them maybe the idea of a powered woofer(s) and some smaller towers might be in order.

That's a great point, Thanks Cal. However, before I start posting more dumb questions I'm sure I can find the answers to if i knew where to look, I've got some research to do. I hate being the new guy asking questions he should be able to find the answer to. Any good sites explaining home amplifiers, signal cables and different source units in depth would be helpful if you can think of any off the top of your head!

Also, besides parts-express and madisound (the only 2 I know of ) where do you buy equipment?

As far as sources for info goes, I'm not sure where to start. There are so many that you could choose from. If you know what piece you want to acquire first, start there by Googling. Look at reviews and other similar items. There's lot of forums dedicated to the end user rather than diy. diyAudio is a great place for the build side of things.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.