Portable Speaker Design (help needed)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The idea struck me recently of embedding a couple speakers pointing out of a ski helmet for tunes on the lifts as well as the fun of a weird project. I've done all sorts of work with everything from my own half-scale trojan horse to home rocketry, but I've never fiddled with audio electronics before.

What sort components do I need if I want to do this? I have ~$100 to spend on this, and I really don't need high end, they're going to be in a terrible enclosure after all, and I don't want to chase high-quality parts after a low-quality application.

I know I'll need the speakers themselves, but do I need to wire an amp between them and the speakers? At the size I need to fit them in a helmet without ruining it, (~2 inches or less) will 2 speakers be enough or do I need four?

This seemed like me to be the place to go if I wanted help on this, and I really do. Thanks in advance!

Yup, it does indeed stop being a safety device, this wouldn't be the kind of thing you take into glades or the park, or even a double black. I entirely realize what I'm doing, but I've got a spare helmet and this really seems like fun. In light of that, any help on the audio front? I'm thinking speakers like Parts-Express.com: 2-1/4" Round Mini Speaker 8 Ohm | pc speaker tv speaker computer speaker but I don't know if I'll need amplification of any kind to get an iPod playing through them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.