Pops and clicks on LP's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
So they aren't necessarily low noise.

I ask this because some of the records I've been listening to lately have some small degree of noise at the run-in but you can clearly hear it go quiet at what I presume is the the start of the recorded track just before the music begins.

In March of 1973, before an audience similar to the one today, the V15 Type III was introduced. At that time, we presented a study made by Shure engineers that surveyed the range of frequencies and velocities found in the grooves of commercial phonograph records. The data from that study was compiled and graphed as a distribution of measured points shown on the right in Figure 1. The area these points cover represents the total spectrum of signals that challenge the phono cartridge tracking ability. The "hottest" signals are located along the upper edge, particularly at the high frequency end of the distribution, and represent the toughest signals for the cartridge to track.

From this oft-cited paper: High Fidelity Phonograph Cartridge - Technical Seminar | Knowledge Base | Shure Americas

Hmmm, perhaps a reason that T5 compensation should be moved or modified as discussed in the Cartridge Behavior thread.

Has anyone ever managed to replicate the points on that graph? Shure never mentioned the source records and some of those numbers seem hard to accept.

I will lend you my copy of Maria Callas "Verdi Heroines" == very noisy lead-in and first fifteen seconds. Interesting LP -- she had tremendous control of her diction.

Couldn't we just scroll FFT's and make a probability distribution.

It would also be interesting to create the chart with different tracking.

It would be fascinating and useful. if we could agree on a protocol would be great.

I built a "universal compensator" based upon an article in Linear Audio "Archival Phono Preamplifier, LA Volume 5" -- for a lot of the old records I've inherited you can only guess at the compensation curve the recording studio used.

The idea was to make multiple samples of orchestral recordings with enough high and low frequency content, and compare to a baseline established with more modern recordings. You could look at the probability distribution to arrive at the appropriate deviation from the modern RIAA curve.

I have one working "universal compensator" which uses an Arduino controller, touch screen display, and three ADI analog switches for resistance and capacitor ladders....but there is very little interest. More of a curiousity I guess. I haven't done the analysis.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
At the point I started considering a mastering elliptic eq on playback I realised I needed a different approach so putting a laptop in for 'odd' eq and general experiments with tonal modification. but I don't have a large pile of unknown eq recordings to deal with.

The idea was to make multiple samples of orchestral recordings with enough high and low frequency content, and compare to a baseline established with more modern recordings. You could look at the probability distribution to arrive at the appropriate deviation from the modern RIAA curve.

This idea appears similar to the procedure Andrew Rose of Pristine Classical uses for restoration of historic classical music recordings. He performs a spectral analysis of a modern recording of the same piece of music, then equalizes the historical recording to create a similar spectral density curve. ( He, of course, employs other tricks such as noise reduction, speed/pitch correction, etc.)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Seems like a sensible approach. I've thought of doing the same to a few recordings that seem "off". I've done a lot of music spectrum analysis and even somewhere have a thread on the subject.

Would you be looking for certain dominant notes that should land on certain frequencies?
I've used a very expensive software that allows for correction note by note, if the speed, wow and flutter are very bad.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Cask05 did a thread on how he 'remasters' modern recordings if you recall. I don't agree with everything he does, but do consider a lot of recordings, ancient and modern to have a decidedly squiffy FR that looks like it could be tidied up. However I also fear for my sanity if I go down this path :). Andrew Rose has admitted in interviews restoration can drive him nearly mad!

Joined 2014
Paid Member
It is astounding what a suitably obsessive person with a powerful computer can achieve. I have a number of recordings on the Dutton label that are superb resorations and the likes of Dutton, Andrew Rose and Mark Obert-thorne have my full admiration.

YouTube check out the 'accidental stereo' restorations.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.