• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Point to point wiring help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
chrish said:
Thanks for your help everyone, greatly appreciated.

One further question if I may...

If I was building this amp for my own personal use, I would include a standby switch. As this amp is for my girlfriend, I suspect that a little while after explaining how the amp works, she will most likely forget what I have told her and end up just leaving the standby switch in the 'play' position and just use the on/off switch. With solid state rectification will this drastically affect the life of the tubes? I am thinking that if the standby feature will not be used, it would be easier to simply not incorporate it. Suggestions?

Thanks again,

Chris

Always in play position .... my GF?
Yes please.

:clown:

On the serious side for neat P-2-P wiring see Jadis:

Attachments

• jadis.jpg
    jadis.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 369
chrish said:

How do you guys get the layout and wiring so neat?

Cheers,

Chris

A good question and simple to answer. Practise and one gets there.
In the 1960's I signed up to forces training, the quality unequalled today. Evening courses in radio & electronics were compulsorary. Since mid 1950's I'd been poking around with tubes and we were awash with them. One followed a project, layout, built it then improved it, part of evolution til where we are now..The radio engineering bit taught the signal and grounding taking the shortest route and this holds today with EMC practises. So switchmode technologies become a breeze to understand.
Others have simply gained their experience by putting their elbows to the grindstone with their own redesigns.

So amp layouts have become like cities, with well groomed highlights and top plates littered with luminescent blue glowing tubes looking like nightime neon garage forecourts.
Great conversation piece.

richj

Attachments

• old time1.jpg
    old time1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 222
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.