Please suggest an External soundcard for speaker measurements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got an Edirol UA-1EX and it has two modes, basic (which automatically installs when you plug it in) and advanced, which requires a driver CD. I have only played with it in basic mode so far. So far, it doesn't seem to work well for measuring - I think I am having issues with low output / input sensitivity on speaker workshop. I haven't given up on it yet, and haven't tried it in advanced mode, but it is certainly quite transparent and very quiet (low noise floor) for playback - a definite improvement over the laptop sound.

Hi bugmenot, and all others.
Good that you revived this thread.
I just bought some measuring equipment from Kirchner in Germany and asked the same question. He said for a new Laptop, to "look if there is a HD soundcard." (What's this ???)
I also would like to implement it (new laptop) with Speaker Workshop.

Reply to a couple posters on here -

RE: "any type of" SoundBlaster "not suitable for pro use" - rubbish, SOME models of SoundBlaster sound cards have excellent S/N ratio and are just fine for speaker measurement when used with a mic preamp w/phantom power. "Zaph" uses a SoundBlaster w/SoundEasy to do his measurements.

RE: Edirol UA-1EX USB Audio - See this post here: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showpost.php4?p=353704&postcount=29

dlnuebec over at HTGuide had good luck with that one, I might get one myself. I've got an M-Audio Fast Track USB that's been nothing but headaches - scratch and pop noises, unreliable drivers (even w/Windows XP!), it's got a balanced "mic" input but it doesn't even have phantom power; that was sure a waste of $100.

I think I'll try one of those Edirol UA-1EX for myself.

Attachments

• edirol ua-1ex usb audio.jpg
    edirol ua-1ex usb audio.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 355
the beringer and edirol look interesting. I recently bought a phonic firefly 302 to do measurement with - it is firewire, 5in 3out, spdif, headphone out, preamps in,, phantom power, about $120usd. A total waste. I've had tons of problems with it. I rarely use it and wish I could send it back.

When I have some bucks, I'm going to get the emu 0404. People have gotten it to work, and it has very good specs...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.