Please recommend a 2 way kit around US$300 without cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi diyers,

I want to build a pair of speakers as above. 2 ways bookshelf or small footprint tower. Midrange clarity is priority but other quality aspects should not be compromised too much. I am considering VIFA or SEAS but other recommendations are welcome.

Thanks

From my experience, for this kind of money, a much better choice is to buy the Axiom 3Ti, that sell for 300U$ a pair. I own a pair of these and the sound is just superb for the money. There is no crossover to mix up things, just a cap in serie with the tweeter. And see all the awards that this little speaker received, just great.
You can find it at:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/m3ti_main.html

It is probably much better than any diy speaker for so little money.

Just my two cents. :cool:

Algar_emi said:

It is probably much better than any diy speaker for so little money.

Welps, I would love to put those against many of the DIY designs available today and have a group of people do some "blind" a/b testing. I would be willing to bet that the majority of folks will pick the DIY designs over them.

I am not saying they aren't nice, or good performers for the price or anything of the sort. I am saying that I have heard them before, and that I have built, and heard several other DIY designs that I feel would trump them for the money.

Noidster

Thanks for the recommendation Mr. Noid.

We do a lot of international shipments but don't think we have ever shipped anything to Hanoi. That's on the other side of Dallas isn't it? ;)

Algar_emi,

Those may be very popular and considered a good value compared to other speakers in the retail market, but they are no where near the performance level of even our least expensive kit or many other available kits in that price range.

I have look at your AV-1 kit. I am wondering whether those xover parts in this picture are included in the standard kit.
I guess that the sonicaps are not included how about those copper foil inductors?

The kit pictured is with the Sonicap upgrade. The cap upgrade is an additional $69.

The standard kit comes with Axon caps but does include a vary small Sonicap capacitor as a by-pass cap for the Axon's on the two main caps in the circuit. Four Sonicap by-pass caps in all. These by-pass caps get you close to the quality of pure Sonicaps at a lower cost.

The foil inductors are standard in the kit.

Shipping to you is no problem. The postal service is the least expensive way to get it to you. $62.00 for air parcel post, and you should have it in about 7 days or so, but there is no insurance available for shipping it to your country using the postal service.

Algar_emi said:
... There is no crossover to mix up things, just a cap in serie with the tweeter. ....

just a reminder....another much malined manufacturer (atleast in DIY circles) also used just a cap in their XO. Name starts with B and rhymes with nose.

this is no relation to the axiom. I have not heard them so will reserve comment on the axioms till i do.

the advantage of DIY is the ability to fine tune a design to ones liking. something not as easy to do with a retail speaker.

Re: Re: Re: Please recommend a 2 way kit around US$300 without cabinets

theNoid said:
While I have not heard nor played with the Extremis woofer yet is certainly a neat looking driver overall. But unfortunately, in this case, it out of the original poster's price range.

The kits are $438 per pair at diycable. Yes, that's more than $300, but not a lot more, and worth it IMO.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.