Please help identify chip

Thanks for help guys!!

This is the exact pin arrangements

pin 1 = Input (from cd mechanism)
pin 4= Coax output
pin 6= Some other digital output (funny connector never seen before)
pin 7 = Ground
pin 8 = Ground
pin 10 = Ground
pin 12 = Ground
pin 14= +5v supply

smells like some hex inverter/buffer. Please measure with some ohm-range meter whether pin 2 and 3 are connected.

OK... It turns out the 5v regulator was iffy. It measured 4.93v. There was another regulator on the optical board the output was 5.03v.

My friend discussed this with me and we both agreed was worth changing. The used replacement measured 5.04v and made the unit work with original chip!

Very strange as I measured it too and thought it was fine. I'm still yet to get the other chip and try but will certainly report my findings..

From memory the solder joints looked white like a powder had been spilled on it!?

Thanks a million for all the advice. Will report back about the chip replacement incase anyone is in same situation

Well you did it again. The part arrived this morning and even though the player works the replacement chip worked as good!

Why they would hide such a cheap chip by scrubbing it out!!

It was actually a gift from a friend but after he heard how good it was he wanted it back! To be fair the regulator was very old has LM written on it 7805.

Was supplying 4.93v and not the 5v it was supposed to. Cant believe it was faulty would never of suspected it!

Thanks again!! Everyone!!