Please give function of C5185C chip

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Okay, this isn't audio but it is electronic parts, so I stuck it here.

This is a control system out of a car.

A) Can anyone tell me what the function of the C5185C chip is here-the one with the big X on the left?

The three terminal chip is a Motorola D45H11, and is a transistor.

B) What is that long wirewound thing on the left-a wirewound resistor? It's labelled A3. Seems to be about 2 inches long.

I've built some small amps and signal generators, but as you can see, there are some large gaps in the knowledge. :)

Attachments

• board for car 4.jpg
    board for car 4.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 87
Joined 2001
By the way, when I say "function", I do not mean specifically in this circuit.

I mean what does a C5185C do? Is it a power supply chip, a microcontroller, or what?

I googled and all I came across was places that had the chip, without going into specifics as to what kind of chip it was.

Any general guidelines here would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joined 2001
Thanks, guys, but neither one of those links seemed to lead to the chip in question. I almost feel like emailing one of the houses that sells the chip just to find out what it is, lol. :)

The board in question is from a seat belt controller system from an old Ford. Those models had a shoulder belt system where the top seat belt anchor slides forward along a track to allow the driver and passengers to leave and get into the car, then slides back and belts them in when the doors are closed and the car is ready to be driven.

The system frequently malfunctions, as is happening here. although I don't think it's the controller board-I think it is a relay component integral with a slightly broken lock.

Anyway, thanks for the effort and tips.

And yes, I do wonder what that slender wirewound thing is. Hmmmm.....

I suspect most of these chips you can only find at hkinventory and the like are custom-made to do a job it might otherwise take 2 or 3 to do. It's not all that expensive if you want a few tens of thousands...like Ford. ;)

I tried to trace one I found in a PC case fan - several listings, no (free) details or (free) datasheet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.