plasma tweeter - ion tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
has anyone heard a plasma tweeter? Do they sound as good as I have been led to believe? Anyone built one? I hav found several DIY sites on the net, but before launching into this project, I hope to get some independant confirmation as to the sound quality these produce...Thanks.

There are spray-on catalysts available now that weren't around 30 or more years ago that can be applied to the wire mesh cover or horn interior to abate most of the ozone. A little ozone is seen as a good thing as it cleans the air-notice all the ozone air cleaners out there, many of which, by the way, use a corona discharge to produce the ozone, just like these tweeters...

Here's an idea I've been dreaming of for a while:

Load a corona discharge tweeter with a downward-pointing horn in conjunction with an upward-firing mid/bass like this. http://www.duevelloudspeaker.com/loudspeaker.htm

You'd end up with a full-range quasi-pointsource omnipole, which is a charming concept to my mind.

Since the treble horn points down, all the low-density hot air/ozone should mostly stay up in the horn throat. This would give the above-mentioned catalyst plenty of time to break down the ozone. For even less ozone/NO2, you could direct a tiny trickle of helium up into the horn. Helium flow could be very minimal.

This could be quite a speaker!

Bill

I built a single plasma tweeter as an experiment about 3 months ago. It sounded absolutely amazing, though it would have needed a horn to be loud enough I can figure out the exact schematic I used though I ended up playing around with a number of different configurations. This was just bare, no horn or anything like that. I never got into using it regularily but I had considered using a thin fibreglass cloth covering with a spray-on catalyst as kuribo said.

One issue with enclosing in a horn: these usually require a spark or an insulated screwdriver sitting just above the discharge area to get going. You'd need to develop something to automate that.

I heard some

I have heard Plasmatronics Type 1. The plasma section was really interesting, particularly when crossed at 700Hz. Extreme transients, very fluid etc (electrostatic type qualitites). Still there was some crackling background noise (which actually was not all that annoying).

I still regret not buying the pair, but due to the logistics of plasma speakers, I would probably not go there if given the chance today.

Petter

I think a little ingenuity and modern technology can go a long way to simplifying plasma speaker logistics. Using the relatively low density of the ozone/NO2 byproducts to keep them trapped up in a catalyst-coated horn throat could save you the trouble of gas shielding (see my prev. post).

What's more, you could eliminate the RFI of the RF oscillator by "pumping" the tip of the discharge spike with a laser instead.

Bill

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: I heard some

Petter said:
I have heard Plasmatronics Type 1. The plasma section was really interesting, particularly when crossed at 700Hz. Extreme transients, very fluid etc (electrostatic type qualitites). Still there was some crackling background noise (which actually was not all that annoying).

I still regret not buying the pair, but due to the logistics of plasma speakers, I would probably not go there if given the chance today.
I've owned 2 pair, and I definitely would go back there today.
A pain in the butt, but excellent opportunity for fooling around
with the electronics and such.

Probably the best tweeter every made.

(pass is listening to Massive Attack / Mezzanine)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.