Plasma speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
New vid

This guy posted another video. I do not know all the info, but considering the large interest in the plasma tweeter, i thought this subject would have more discussion. Mated with a plasma tweeter, this set could have exemplary performance, again considering no moving mass for a extended range plasma speaker claimed 200Hz to 12 KHz.

Plasma speaker vid-2

I requested that he send me some plans but apparently my request slipped through the cracks. I guess I could post another request but I don't want to hound somebody who is generously sharing information.

I don't have much experience with high frequency electronics so I'd be interested in determining whether it's something I could try out or whether it's complicated enough so that I ought to work my way up to it. I'm supposed to be working on my ESL project so I probably don't need another distraction!
Few

If you look at the discussion below his video, there is a link to the plans.
He is going to make a kit for it, but it looks like he is trying to promote it as a visual show item, rather than a true audio performance product. Too bad. It sure does looks like it has potential.
Regards,

Okay, I'm feeling pretty dense, but I don't see the link to the plans. Would you mind posting it here---or pointing me in the right direction?

I agree that it would be more interesting if it attempted to maximize fidelity rather than visual cool factor. Perhaps it could serve as the basis for something that aims to reach closer to 20 KHz with good performance. I'd be willing to give up a bit at the low frequency end of the spectrum.

It's no different in concept to the tweeter thread, except it's solid state. I'd love to see the circuit. The ferrite cored transformer is a big limitation.

I've seen 95dB from an open arc and tesla coil type OPT. With horn loading you could easily get it to a useful volume.
Air discharge is quite quiet, adding the ground electrode makes it much louder.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.