Planar magnetic from Wire to Foil test

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think that the self Adhesive foil.....may be one resion your panels sound so good..What I hear with your speakers... is a clear ribbon sound..Much more like the Apogees.....that whats missing from the maggys!

I found out this when adding the copper strip bias feed to the Mylar of the CLS edges..less copper gave better sound out of the panels....

Not adding the coting on top of Mylar an then the foil give a diff -better sound to my ears....how about a series crossover?
So far the best sounding added coating ….spray paint only on the ends…like one inch........Great looking an souning panels ...I would buy a pr today....thanks for the info

Last edited:
Just played most of your panels speakers sounds ....thanks so much...I have to say,i have felt for years maybe I was losing my hearing...I am 70 now...but the sound of your what others call QR foil Speakers have shown me...that my ears still work...

Now as I have said...Magnepan has to make more than one pr of speakers...an thay have to last...for ever maybe....but for me there QR sound is missing some thing...
But most ...well a lot of people don't have the 40 years of a Reference point I have ...
So my point is just My one mans o-pine

It is easier to find thinner aluminium foil, cut it and use glue. The foils from Magnepan I have: 0.075" x 0.001", 0.1" x 0.001" and 0.1" x 0.0005". The are used for tweeters and mids. For bass I think it is 0.1" x 0.01". Thinnest round wire they used was AWG 36, lighter than any of their foils!

Ha thats great info i wanted to know the thickness of the foil used so nothing is thinner then 12 micon something expected but good to see confirmed

Last edited:

nice, well i dont dare to order at magnepan. since i make my own speakers. i think thats kind of weird. if i would revive some Magnepans then its another case.

im already glad i got some information on the thickness and width. no i have to think of a method to slit cut it or use a plotter to cut the coil as i want. (last thing is not that hard, although my machine is only half the size i require :) )

Why then did they abandon wire for foil? Was it performance related or economic?

The very first prototype used foil, 50 years ago. They started to use foil with the MG 3.7 in 2010 or so. Not sure all models use it today, it is not only a matter of round wire or foil but how to tune the speaker. As I see it, it is a bit more work with foil than round wire in production.

The very first prototype used foil, 50 years ago. They started to use foil with the MG 3.7 in 2010 or so. Not sure all models use it today, it is not only a matter of round wire or foil but how to tune the speaker. As I see it, it is a bit more work with foil than round wire in production.

Well the tuning is purely resonances. Same knobs apply to foil as it did for wire. Applying them might be a tad more hassle though :)

It was done several years ago and I have kept them in storage. The foil was the thinnest Magnepan had then. They used it for the mid of the 20-series. Only they mids were "foiled". In the Tympani IVa mid is about 300-5000 Hz. The basses have round wire. The tweeters are true ribbon. Following the findings of Joppe (WrineX), the higher frequencies can be improved but I have not verified this. I am about to do some measurement. Just had them from a rather cold garage and I will let them get warm before testing them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.