Pioneer SX5580 Tuner issues

Hi,

My old Pioneer receiver has developed an issue with its tuner after many years service. A static, crackling noise is now audible on FM only. The amp behaves perfectly on all other inputs.

The noise is very obvious on spoken word broadcasts although with the muting on there is no noise in between stations just silence until the tuner is tuned to a broadcast.

The protection circuit board required all the electrolytics replacing last year and maybe the tuner circuit board now needs the same upgrade or is there anything else to investigate first ? The part number is aws067.

Would it be simpler to change the complete tuner circuit board from a known good unit rather than all the many capacitors ?

Any advice welcome.

David.

Do the center tuning meter and signal level meter work properly?
The center tune meter should be in the middle if no antenna signal is present. Does it detect a stereo signal?
Those old Pioneers are notorious for oxidized switches and could use a cleaning of the contacts in the tuning capacitor.

Thankyou for your reply.

The tuning meter and signal meter are working properly. The tuning meter is in the centre with no antenna connected. The amp works perfectly on all other functions it’s just the noise on FM which is a problem. It sounds like all radio broadcasts are being played from a badly scratched LP.

The amp’s switches and rotary controls were all properly cleaned 3 or 4 years ago due to a channel imbalance and scratchiness which improved things greatly. Perhaps it’s time the tuning contacts had the same treatment. Is this the same procedure using deoxit or Servisol cleaner ?

Very possible it’s the tuning contacts. Tell tale signs are noise produced with fm muting off and as you move or rock the tuning wheel you hear all kinds of noise.
There is a well written procedure on audiokarma’s tuner section for cleaning the variable capacitor. Best to use a non-residue cleaner only on the contacts and not get any on the fins or vanes. Some have used a hypodermic needle and put a small amount of Caig fader lube on the contacts as written by a member on the fm tuner group.
Good luck

After researching Audiokarma’s correct procedure to clean the tuner contacts etc this has now been done. Although the slight scratchiness always present when fine tuning to my preferred Radio 4 at 93.4 has been eliminated the main issue persists.

Upon initial switch on today the amp behaved fine on FM for several minutes before the noise returned. I then checked the tuner board for any dry joints in operation without success.

The amp’s protection also briefly cut in after around an hour which it also did yesterday when the fm problem appeared. This hasn’t happened since replacing the caps on that board some time ago.

As the unwanted noise now appears to be temperature dependent the next option seems to be freezer aerosol as the issue is possibly being caused by further failing passive components on the tuner board. Hopefully this may isolate the reason for the fm noise but why the protection has briefly been triggered is confusing as the protection board voltages all test as expected.

sx-5580 = SX-1050
Somethings intermittant or goes noisy,
it might be because of a DC bias disturbance in the FM section causing the protection to activate.
One test is to take the Composite FM that comes out the back and feed it into a tape play input, switch to that, to monitor the Fm composite to determine if the problem exists before or after the stereo decoder section.
That muting relay has also to be known to cause problems. so test with muting off
Another problem that causes the protection to trip are c1,c2 on AWM-090(protection), we usually repklace them with 0.22uF/50V film with 5mm lead centers. But you say you changed ecaps on that pcb.
Other causes could be pre-amp, 2sa725 are known to go noisy, replace with KSA992FB, but it could be others as well, narrow down to section, see if it happens on both channels, lots of things to try out.

Very possible it’s the tuning contacts. Tell tale signs are noise produced with fm muting off and as you move or rock the tuning wheel you hear all kinds of noise.
There is a well written procedure on audiokarma’s tuner section for cleaning the variable capacitor. Best to use a non-residue cleaner only on the contacts and not get any on the fins or vanes. Some have used a hypodermic needle and put a small amount of Caig fader lube on the contacts as written by a member on the fm tuner group.
Good luck
I have an SX-580 that had the same problem and cleaning the variable capacitor was my first instinct. Before resorting to cleaning/lubricating chemicals I decided to blow it out with air using a wet/dry vac in blow mode. I often dust of the PCBs this way before starting a restoration. The SX-580 tuner hasn't crackled since. It's been about 3 years now. I haven't restored this one yet. It's a daily driver that works well enough for now and it has all of it's 1979 electrolyics.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your input Retrofier, it’s good your 580’s issue was easily sorted, the SX 50/80 receivers are well worth maintaining. Before beginning chemical cleaning a hair dryer on cold setting was used to remove the dust etc from the tuner gangs but unfortunately without improvement.

Switched the amp on from cold today and again it sounded great on FM for around 10 minutes warming through then the snap, crackle & pop began. I’m awaiting delivery of freezer spray to isolate the failing component/s.

Hopefully progress can be made in the next day or so and a repair can be attempted. After necessary replacement of the protection board electrolytics it’s possible there are failing caps on the tuner board or possibly a transistor, but I’ve been wrong before 🙂

Spent some time over the weekend further investigating the problem with the aid of freezer spray.

Once the snap, crackle & pop began I tried very localised application of freezer spray on the caps and transistors on the FM board which made no difference. However, after cooling the transistors on the protection board the noise disappeared and the amp is now working fine with no noise issue or the protection briefly kicking in.

Is it possible that one or more of the 6 transistors on the protection is breaking down and emitting rf noise which is being picked up by the fm tuner section that is sat right next to the protection board ?

I understand from research that Q6 & Q7 are known to become weak and cause the amp to trip into protection. This theory is possible as after changing all the electrolytics some time ago, following regular amp tripping off, that problem went away but was this down to the new caps covering up the weakening transistors ?

Guess the only way to confirm the protection board transistors are at fault is to change them all which I’m able to do as they were bought at the same time as the caps. But confirmation a failing transistor on the protection board is possibly causing the fm interference would be appreciated.

Is it possible that one or more of the 6 transistors on the protection is breaking down and emitting rf noise which is being picked up by the fm tuner section that is sat right next to the protection board ?
No the transistors in the protection circuit would not be creating RF noise in the FM band.
Do the fm composite test? It will test your rf noise theory.

Hey thanks for your fast reply.

Not exactly sure what connect composite fm to tape playback means ? Do you mean the single rca on the back labelled fm set 4 channel being connected to tape 1 input ?

Not wishing to contradict your obvious knowledge and appreciate you taking time to respond, but the amps been switched on for most of today and the noise on fm reappeared after an hour or so and further application of the freezer spray to Q3 instantly kills the noise for a further hour or so. Freezing any of the other transistors does not have any effect.

Do you mean the single rca on the back labelled fm set 4 channel being connected to tape 1 input ?
Yes. using FM mono as your source, tape monitor #1 or #2 play input, push down the toggle to select the input that is used.
Its mono so you can try only one input at a time unless you use a splitter.
You did not say if the noise was comming from one or both channels?

If your theory of "RF FM radiated noise" is true. Then try using another FM tuner/radio to see if it gets affected at the same time?