Pioneer SX-626 troubleshooting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all, I was just given a Pioneer SX-626 and would like to hook it up to a turntable and some decent speakers. My father gave me this amp - he has another SX-626 he bought new in the early 70s as well as a SX-828. I have used his 626 from time to time and love the warm sound and am excited to use mine.

Problem is, it won't fire up. I checked all three of the screw-in fuses in the back, and they were all intact. The lights don't come on and the amp is unresponsive. When I do turn it on, I can hear a faint click coming from inside the chassis, so I'm guessing the power is going in but getting stopped somewhere. Are there any internal fuses that I should check? My first guess would be a bad power supply, but given that these amps have a reputation for being pretty robust I wonder if that is really the case.

Where should I begin?

Have you tested hooking it up to an audio source and a pair of speakers ?

It's prolly just the incandescent scale lamps that have gone = looks like amp is dead.

The click you hear is likely the protection circuit engaging the speaker output relay, this is normal, means theres no dc offset on the outputs.

The amp was totally dead. No backlighting, no needle illumination, nothing. It had been in a cold garage for a while when I was doing my initial powerup tests, so I brought inside. It fired right up as soon as I brought it in. The needle lights up, but the scale lamps are still dead. There are 5 of them. If someone is familiar with these amps, is this a scenario where one goes dead and they all die? I also notice that my signal strength gauge isn't lighting up either. I've got it ripped apart right now and it's relatively clean inside and everything looks intact.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.