Pioneer HPM 900 epiphany

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've asked before about a crossover upgrade for the HPM 900, but after thinking about it from the perspective of "how do I make this a better sounding speaker" rather than "how do I leave this speaker near stock and make it a little better" I realized part of the problem is right in the middle - it has a very good woofer and a very good supertweeter and then very dated mid and tweeter. I think the best plan to make it a better speaker is to convert it to a 3 way using a full range 4" driver to replace the current mid, and just remove the old cone tweeter. Then make a 3 way crossover that crosses at around 300 Hz and 10 to 12 KHz with good quality components. I have too many projects on the list to get to this soon, but I'm thinking about using this for the mid once its available again:
Tang Band W4-1337SD 4" Titanium Driver | Parts-Express.com
I'd also plan to add some internal bracing and maybe some Acoustistuff, but keep most all the mods as reversible as possible. Comments?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.