pics of DIY 3-ways w/ 1354 wideband

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They were old Radio Shack cabinets that originally housed a 10" woofer that someone down the line managed to whittle a 12" in its place. It had paper cone mids and tweets. I replaced the front baffle and this cab has seen two or three projects, ranging from twin, forward firing 1354s (not recommended) and a simialr approach to one you see here using two 1354s as woofers and a 1354 running fullrange (also not recommended due to impedance being too low).

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k189/3-LockBox/DCP_0045.jpg

What you see here are two 6.5" MCM woofers, rated 8ohms, 45watts rms, sens=90db. The woofers are wired in parallel for a 4 ohm load. The mid is a RS 1354 fullranger with its whizzer removed, mounted in a small sealed internal enclosure. The tweeter is another Ratshack closeout...its ok, but I want a tad more air. I used 14 g Ersce(sp?) open air coils for the woofers rolled off at 400hz. The wideband 1354 is capped at 400hz as well by a Dayton Poly cap. And the tweeter is capped at 9.5khz by a Solens poly cap.

On the other incarnation of this design I used standard electrolytic caps- don't do it! Its worth the expense to upgrade the caps, as there is no scratchiness in wideband whatsoever now that was so prevelant before with an electrolytic cap. The 1354 sounds crystal clear on the poly cap.

The cab is approx 1.5 cu.ft. tuned via rear port @ 50hz.

I like the sound a lot, but because of one of my other projects, I want to try a 10" PR on the back.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.