Pi filter question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I decide add "pi filter" to my Cresendo amplifier power supply.
So I have question about those coils.
How big (mH) should those coils be?
And how many coils must be added?
How thick copper wire must be?

I have six 10000yF capacitors (three per rail).
Supply voltage is +-50VDC.

If you've got three capacitors, I'd go for one before the inductor and two after.
As for the inductor, the more inductance the better, but even a few mH will do. The last time this came up Nelson recommended ERSA inductors. I believe Hammond has some too, but they probably don't have sufficient current capability. Unfortunately, we don't have a wide selection of high current inductors available to us at this time. In a backhanded way, I suppose that's good as it will limit debate on which ones are better.
You can always build your own. It's not hard, but it does take time.
Asking what kind of wire to use is likely to incite a riot among some of the more excitable members of the site. Toss a coin and go with some reasonable gauge like 14 or 12....10 if you want to spend a few more pennies. As short as power supply cables tend to be, they don't add a lot of resistance.

Grey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.