pi filter in class a amp: okay to parallel inductors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it kosher to parallel the inductors in a pi filter power supply? I can't really find the combination of inductance and DCR I need for a 16A +/-12V supply, so I am considering running the inductors in parallel. For example, 4x10mH inductors gives my an effective 2.5mH with a DCR of .064. Any problems with running these inductors in parallel?

As much as I'd love to use air core, the DCR is much worse so I have ruled them out.

Parallel Inductors

I believe there is a small advantage in paralleling inductors in that the inductance will increase beyond the expected 2.5mh if the inductors are kept close and physically parallel to each other.

Other than that i'm not aware of problems relating to current sharing etc. though I must concede i'm no expert.

Attachments

• 0451.jpg
    0451.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 273
sex/drugs & rock'roll I am too old for the latter two...
Elso:
I fear me too...:D but at least DIY audio falls in the drug categorie;) & rock'roll.... well, though I don`t practise it anymore I still like to hear it...
Has it to do with saturation of the core??
Yes, that`s what I have meant with airgap. If the core wouldn`t have a gap it would saturate with DC-currents quite easily . Inductors carrying DC current usually are designed so that the core structure provides an effective air gap to limit the DC bias current from excessively polarizing the magnetic material. As those coils for speaker x-over purposes usually wouldn`t have to deal with any DC there are likely not designed for this and therefore I`m not so sure if they can do a good job in DC-Power-Supplies as well.
I wonder from where do You have the 7mm break (is this gap?) number for the transformer like types??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.