• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

I too must agree, that was a really nice job. Do I envy .... not at all :)nod:)

Halfway through a rather odd but not too odd project, the Currawong, an Australian design with PP 6L6 and cheap (dirt cheap, actually) 100V line trannies running backwards). Due to the transformers' power limitation, output power is just 10W. But it was fun using a PCB and hopefully this will end up nice and somewhat good sounding.

currawong_15.jpg

currawong_16.jpg

I have a wooden chassis on the way to host the board.

The project was published in Australian journal Silicon Chip.
And Altronics fixed a complete kit, but I just ordered the PCB, hard-to-find-components and the transformers.
Tubes are Russian 6P3S (and I have a quartet 6P3S-E) and much used ECC83 (will change those later). Everything else is bought local (in Sweden)
I am using the ideas for the chassis from the original plans but want to do it a little bit more "elegant".

Helle Rockas,
will you tell more about your Transformers in a seperate Threat?
Regards Dieter

Hi Dieter,

I was inspired to use output toroidal transformer for valve amplifier output by Menno van der Veen book called "Modern high end valve amplifiers based on toroidal output transformers", you can find part of this book online https://books.google.lt/books?id=n7...dal&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=true

So the main problem with toroidal transformers is that the core is saturated when it is used in SE valve amplifier output. It is OK if you use it in PP. As the toroidal transformers has some nice features, we need some solution to avoid core saturation. So if we use composite core (it is not a typical monolithic toroidal core) we avoid core saturation and we can use it for SE amplifier output. If you are interested in these SE tube amplifier transformers you can visit ertoco . com

In general I was listening for my project amp for a few days and I am satisfied with the sound. I using it with speakers that I have built five years ago
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
these are two way speakers, closed box as the sensetivity is about 90 dB/W so there is enough power from the tube amp to drive it.