• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Phonola suitcase player...now, with hum!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello folks! I am completely new to this forum and vintage audio equipment.
Here's my story/problem:
I wanted to get a suitcase record player. I found one at my local antique shop. The guy said it worked fine when he got it, but when we plugged it in, it has a loud, steady humming. (so, I got it for a very good price)
It is, from what I gather, a 60hz hum. It is constant and not linked to the volume control. I was hoping it would be something simple and obvious...but, after taking it apart, that is not the case.
I read somewhere that this is usually a ground or capacitor issue.

Can anyone give me a clue??

Thank you! I think I can find capacitors at school in the electronics lab. Are they special? Or, are they fine as long as they are the same rating?

It is not done very nicely in there...things are just kind of soldered and shoved. I'm glad it's enclosed...I love how tubes look, so I used a laser cutter and made a viewing window for them. I will post pics when I finish.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.